Suggestion on Pencil Marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion on Pencil Marks

I really don't like the way the pencil marks are implemented on this site. I know it is very simple to program them the way you did, but I find it completely counter-intuitive to type the number I want to get rid of in order to fill in the square when I have pencil marks in it. Other sites with this style puzzle have a toggle button to switch to pencil marks, or use a key like shift to switch modes. I personally really like the shift key method. If you just type in a square, it puts the number there, but if you hold shift and type, it puts pencil marks. But even if there are pencil marks, you can just type in the square and it just hides the pencil marks and shows the value you chose. This method is very easy, and intuitive to me, though I realize it doesn't travel to a tablet well. A toggle button would translate to a tablet, though. I would say ideally, you would have both implemented, so that you'd use the button on a tablet, and the shift key when it's available.

If it helps, you can just press delete to clear the square and then type your answer. Of course, delete isn’t really near the arrow or number keys (unless you’re doing large puzzles and using the full number row)..

Comment

Working...
    X