Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bwt1213
    replied
    Here's the deal: if you start out not being able to touch-type very fast, this game gives you a good reason to learn. You WILL get better. There is no guarantee you will get as good as Megaword, but I can almost guarantee you will pass 108 words in 3 minutes, someday. If you have a physical problem --well, maybe not. I remember taking a typing test one-handed when I was in high school and getting more than 50 wpm, though. I doubt I can do that with two hands now, but I'm 73. But I can imagine all kinds of things that would slow someone down, which is why I have lobbied for a version of this game where there is no fixed end time -- so long as you enter a new valid word before 10 seconds run out, the game would continue. I think it wouldn't change the top scores much (from what Megaword has said), but it might really help people who have typing troubles.

Leave a comment:

• JoanM19
    replied
    I can't type fast enough and I can't do the mouse selection thing cuz it's even slower... How does anyone get 108 words in the time allotted. I know Megamword is good, but come one...

.. Played: 2 times
    Average Score: 580.3 points
    Average Words: 108 words
    High Score: 1125 points by MegaWord
    Most Words: 200 words by MegaWord
    Best Word: BLASTIES (14 pts) by MegaWord
    Longest Word: ROISTERS (8 letters) by MegaWord

Leave a comment:

• lalatan
    replied
    pigletta, I think that has happened to all long players once in a while, including me (more so when I first started). We either run out of time or don't see the alternate path that includes the plural. I always type the plural first and then evaluate whether the singular will be a high enough pt value. If I didn't get the plural and just the singular, I'd abandon the game. It's too easy for your record to be taken over by someone else who just adds the -s or -es.

dannyb, that was a remarkable string of games you wrote about. It made me recall the day when I got the same board back-to-back. That's very rare but I think it has happened to anyone who has played a lot of games. It had also occurred for me before that day. But later on that day it happened again!
    Last edited by lalatan; 07-11-2020, 10:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pigletta
    replied
    Originally posted by lalatan View Post
    A couple months ago I was playing as thinkbig for APPW and loaded a board with a 43 pt best word. I played CONSTITUTIONALIZATIONS for 45 pts. It was both tragic and ironic they had missed typing the s since they are listed as a twosome in their username (possibly 2 sets of eyes didn't see it). That's my personal best of taking over a high value best word record. It took 3 years for it to happen.
    I can't tell you how many times I miss the plural. Sometimes it's because I run out of time. It's probably best to try the plural first but if time is getting short and I'm not sure I don't want to risk missing it altogether. And It's just me, so I can't blame it on anyone else.

Leave a comment:

• bwt1213
    replied
    The bowling equivalent is called a "triplicate" -- three consecutive games with the same score. It's actually quite rare. I used to bowl a lot, and I never did it or saw anyone do it. It can't be any more common here. I'll bet you're the only one to have done it.

Leave a comment:

• dannyb
    replied
    Played a game scored 437. Played the next game and scored a 437. Okay I have had the same score on two consecutive boards before. Played a third game and scored a 437. The fourth game I was doing really well and thought that this is much better than 437. It was! it was 438.

Leave a comment:

• walden123
    replied
    That's kind of interesting because constitutionalisation (the british spelling) doesn't take an s hook.

Leave a comment:

• lalatan
    replied
    Congrats walden123 on your new personal best. You brought back a memory for me. Spike1007 first found that word 3 years ago. I thought it was an awesome find since I was starting out in 5x5 long word play.

A couple months ago I was playing as thinkbig for APPW and loaded a board with a 43 pt best word. I played CONSTITUTIONALIZATIONS for 45 pts. It was both tragic and ironic they had missed typing the s since they are listed as a twosome in their username (possibly 2 sets of eyes didn't see it). That's my personal best of taking over a high value best word record. It took 3 years for it to happen.

Leave a comment:

• walden123
    replied
    Never had this happen to me before. I was thinking "Hey, isn't this longer than 18 letters?"
    Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 3.49.31 PM.png
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• lalatan
    replied
    I played a board where I spotted -metrically early on. The only available letters to pair with it were jammed in the lower right corner. So I decided to start by trying the longest prefix I could form: nephelo-. I thought with amusement, "Maybe they measure nephelos." I was completely surprised when it was accepted!! Wow! 3 years ago I could not have conceived there would be so many prefixes used in medical/scientific words.
    While I was still musing on that I started another game and found FANTASTICALNESSES. It seemed appropriate after finding the previous word.

Leave a comment:

• JJBeanie
    replied
    Originally posted by playonwords View Post
    I just found a word and tested it simply because it was a puzzle I was sure I would only get a 7-letter word . . . custumary (notice the 'u' instead of the 'o' in customary). . . funny though, I cannot find this word anywhere to get a definition of it . . . Google, American and English dictionaries
    I found this note in the Collins dictionary:

custumary.JPG

I wonder if it's related to the word "custumal", too?

Leave a comment:

• lalatan
    replied
    Nice find playonwords. That has occurred a few times for me in the last 6 years of playing: the word was accepted but there was no definition to be found anywhere.

This morning at 10:40 local time I learned a new word: EXTRAVERSIVELY (28/14). (It usually happens later in the day for me to construct a word I haven't seen before.) It means directed in an outward manner. It was 1 of those scenarios where it seemed to be the only choice for a high scoring word so I played it, not really expecting success.
    Last edited by lalatan; 06-30-2020, 01:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• playonwords
    replied
    I just found a word and tested it simply because it was a puzzle I was sure I would only get a 7-letter word . . . custumary (notice the 'u' instead of the 'o' in customary). . . funny though, I cannot find this word anywhere to get a definition of it . . . Google, American and English dictionaries

Leave a comment:

• mdyak
    replied
    Originally posted by crazykate View Post
    In my hunt for long words, I often randomly try combining available syllables, even if the final result sounds unlikely. That's how I ended up with
    SUPERCALENDERING (30 pts.) New record!

​​​​
    today.

Apparently, it's the process of running paper through a special press (a supercalender) to make it dense and smooth. Maybe it's a word well known amongst native speakers of English, but I was quite surprised when it worked.
    No, it would be well-known only among people who run paper through a supercalendar to make it dense and smooth. :^)

Leave a comment:

• crazykate
    replied
    In my hunt for long words, I often randomly try combining available syllables, even if the final result sounds unlikely. That's how I ended up with
    SUPERCALENDERING (30 pts.) New record!

​​​​
    today.

Apparently, it's the process of running paper through a special press (a supercalender) to make it dense and smooth. Maybe it's a word well known amongst native speakers of English, but I was quite surprised when it worked.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X