Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Names

I think I know the answer but I'm going to ask anyways...I've noticed that there is a Rosie and a rosie on this game...is this 2 different people? It would seem like yes but I'm just curious.
    There are a few other similar names like Spike and Spike007?

I don't know about the R/rosies, but I'm Spike1007 (once Spike1005 and, for a little while, Spike1006). On the forums, some refer to me as Spike, but if there's a player who actually uses that name without the numbers, it's not me.

Comment

There is a thread here somewhere where all of this, and the origin of different players names, is explained...hmmm... I recall that one of our erstwhile players has different names for different goals/ways of playing...Spike(insert numbers here)? lalatan?

Comment

Originally posted by flops View Post
        There is a thread here somewhere where all of this, and the origin of different players names, is explained...hmmm... I recall that one of our erstwhile players has different names for different goals/ways of playing...Spike(insert numbers here)? lalatan?
        I think that thread existed in the old forum before the server change.

Comment

ah ha....but methinks I recall why crazykate may be, in fact....crazykate. I am flops, because I have a friend who is confused between Pixie, Dixie, and Trixie...and Peter Rabbits siblings.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input...that answers my question! Love love love this site!

Comment

I was a little surprised when the "cheaters" thread popped up. It seemed so long ago that I thought it had also been lost with the server change. That was an ongoing theme though...

Flops, was it you who started the old "names" thread? I remember the reasons for some of the names, but I'm blanking on crazykate. For the record, I named myself after my cat (still alive, although coming up on 18 years old) & my house number, 1005. I added the others so that I could play with different goals, but that ended up being too much work, and I'd occasionally forget who I was supposed to be. For the most part, these days I still play for long words, but try to take only ones new to the board. That keeps my score a lot lower than when I was playing flat out for highest average points/word.

Comment

Originally posted by flops View Post
                Lalatan is what my granddaughter used to call me when she was younger. I mostly collect best/longest word records with that username.
                I used to compete for 4x4 and 5x5 avg pts/word under thinkbig. When new competitors emerged a few months ago I created thinkbig_aka_lalatan to remove any ambiguity regarding my identity.

Comment

Yes, Spike it was me that started it...I remembered both your cat, and lalatan's granddaughter, also Zolorbowl....I used to misread Fasteddieb as a name like Debbie....I had to laugh with your above "and I'd occasionally forget who I was supposed to be"...you don't need several usernames for that to happen! Railroader...do you play when you are driving trains? I suppose it would keep you on track?

Comment

My name is pretty straightforward. My name is actually Katharina, but I spent a few months in Britain as a teenager and went to school there, where I got the nickname Kate and a reputation for being crazy. I once yodeled in Oxford station, for example. I also used to have a crazy cat, but when it came to forum nicknames, "crazycat" was often already taken, so I became "crazykate". Except in Tolkien themed communities, where my nicknames were usually variants of Éowyn.
                    ​​​

Comment

My nickname comes from my last name. My entire family was referred to as the Seamonsters. We had one of those wonderful homes where all the kids wanted to hang out.

Comment

My name here comes from the first obvious reason being the show Keeping Up Appearances. I grew up in Canada watching the "Britcoms" on Saturday night with my grandmother who would visit us on the weekends. My grandparents and father emigrated to Canada when he was a child from England. The other equally important reason is that I'm also named on here after my cat Hyacinth!

Comment

Ahhh, you cat people.....I am encouraged by the fact that you mention your feline family members in the singular, not dozens! 18 year old cats are lovely, Spike, I imagine it has mellowed somewhat by now? I am even smileyier (took me a while to work out how I wanted to the spell that) than normal (and I'm very happy generally) thinking about crazykate yodelling the tune of Keeping up Appearances at Oxford Station, while I'm recovering my sofa (COVID-19 has really tested my ability to procrastinate on some of the bigger jobs).

I love that your family was known as the Seamonsters, Seamonster! In my vernacular, that's a cracker!

Comment

Finally a chance to share this story! At the time, I didn't have a whole lot of websites that I'd signed up for, but enough that I would use that Auto-fill thingummyjig (this wasn't too long ago). I was trying some of my usual usernames, but it was a bigger website (I can't quite remember which) and they didn't work. Then I had a revelation: "What if I just hit my keyboard with my outstretched hand and hope for the best. I ended up with "Aredtyg" which I thought was... mildly pronounceable in case Google hath fail me. It has recently come to my attention that A-Red-Tyg is a complete subject/noun phrase (a as in the article, red as in... well... the colour red, and tyg as in a 15-17th century drinking mug with three or more handles [not sure if the word is valid on this site, but it was at pseudo.skandbrand.com {here's another set of brackets to overwhelm you}]). However anecdotal it may sound, it is true and possibly replicable if you try to not try hard enough !

Comment

Awesome story! I'm glad you had a chance to share it too! I read it thrice, the first to understand the story (way cool), the second because I enjoyed it the first time, and then finally because your writing style is so familiar to me that I had to make sure I didn't write it myself (particularly when I am very au fait with the concept of success if you try to not try hard enough!). Touche!!

Comment

Working...
                              X