Not quite entered as time ran out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not quite entered as time ran out

Used to be a thread with a name like this, but here's my contribution: I found myself on a board where, right at the end, I discovered "commutablenesses" for 30 points. And then I saw "incommutablenesses" and got all the way to the "t" before time ran out. I don't even know if it's a word, but I'll bet it is. I guess no one has to serve their sentence! Or, perhaps, that all operators always commute. I'll bet they always associate, too. Can't be arithmetic, then.

Played a board and posted high score (but not a remarkable number) and at the end discovered "relatednesses" and a slew of similar words. I got them all in and then saw that "interrelatednesses" was also there. Time was really short, so my fingers were flying. And mistyping, over and over. Never got that big one in. So if you see a board where I hold all the records and the score isn't much -- about 480 is what I'm remembering -- now you have two reasons to select that one. First, it's me and I'm easy to beat. Second, because now you know what the best word probably is, and it's not mine.

Comment

Yes, I remember that discussion, about how the person found all these words AFTER the time was over. I have that problem too. Why didn't I find that during the game? Its frustrating.

I'm still hoping to find a game w/this supposedly common 'nesses' ending & then (I know I'm asking for too much) find a word that would go w/that ending. That's my new goal.

Comment

Originally posted by 2cute View Post
        Yes, I remember that discussion, about how the person found all these words AFTER the time was over. I have that problem too. Why didn't I find that during the game? Its frustrating.

I'm still hoping to find a game w/this supposedly common 'nesses' ending & then (I know I'm asking for too much) find a word that would go w/that ending. That's my new goal.
        we need a laugh button.

I sometimes think red herrings are purposely entered into the game. Like a Q with nothig attached. Or ness nesses. I've finished games with the nesses and sat there searching for long periods, completely unable to find whatever word might be attached. Not that it might not be there, just I can't find it--even with an extra unlimited search.

I just sigh. Give up. (after all, there are other things more important.) And push the new game button.

Comment

Just played a game where I got "overmastering" as the new best/longest word. Saw an "s" after the "g" and frantically tried to type "overmasterings."

No go. Haste makes waste.

Couldn't get the fingers to cooperate because they were so excited. Jumping up and down.

Guess I'll never know if the plural overmastering works in wordtwist.

Comment

My most recent sad story on this topic happened last week when I found LITHOHETEROTROPHAL for 34 pts. -chemic was on the bottom of the board and I kept trying to weave that into the equation as a suffix. Too late I realized I could've tacked on chemo- to the front of the word I found for likely a 40+ pt record of CHEMOLITHOHETEROTROPHAL. But now I should remember it for next time...

I agree that -ness(es) is sometimes in the puzzle but there's nothing available to add to it. In my folder of words I've found worth 22+ pts (and set records with) I did a search for how many -ness(es) words were there. I thought it could go as high as half of them. Very surprisingly, there were only 1,370 of them out of a total of 4,370.

Fwiw, I'm pretty sure I tried playing OVERMASTERINGS in the past and it was rejected. Enjoy the games!
            Last edited by lalatan; 03-08-2022, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
              My most recent sad story on this topic happened last week when I found LITHOHETEROTROPHAL for 34 pts. -chemic was on the bottom of the board and I kept trying to weave that into the equation as a suffix. Too late I realized I could've tacked on chemo- to the front of the word I found for likely a 40+ pt record of CHEMOLITHOHETEROTROPHAL. But now I should remember it for next time...

I agree that -ness(es) is sometimes in the puzzle but there's nothing available to add to it. In my folder of words I've found worth 22+ pts (and set records with) I did a search for how many -ness(es) words were there. I thought it could go as high as half of them. Very surprisingly, there were only 1,370 of them out of a total of 4,370.

Fwiw, I'm pretty sure I tried playing OVERMASTERINGS in the past and it was rejected. Enjoy the games!
              The timer ended just as I was about to type the second S in QUINQUAQUINQUAQUINQUEESTS, which was a total bummer.

Haha, kidding aside, I did tie your best word/longest word record on a fun grid. The word caught my eye in the last 15 seconds giving me enough time to type it (UNINTERMITTEDNESSES).

Comment

That was a good find you made, jbud. That was the first time I ever played that word. I thought it might not have been accepted. I knew transmitted and intermittent were valid but was unaware INTERMITTED was a word.
                Last edited by lalatan; 03-09-2022, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                  That was a good find you made, jbud. That was the first time I ever played that word. I thought it might not have been accepted. I knew transmitted and intermittent were valid but was unaware INTERMITTED was a word.
                  Thank you, lalatan. I was also unaware that INTERMITTED is a word, and in all honesty, the find was a lucky guess. It seemed like a plausible word...

Comment

So, got aggluninates, saw the "hemo", so why not...

and miracles of miracles

but the brain said, "isn't it hemagglutination without the '0'?"

So, rushed to type in hemagglutinate, wanting to add the "s" next,

but..

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 12.48.36 PM.png

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post
                      So, got aggluninates, saw the "hemo", so why not...

and miracles of miracles

but the brain said, "isn't it hemagglutination without the '0'?"

So, rushed to type in hemagglutinate, wanting to add the "s" next,

but..

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 12.48.36 PM.png
                      Well, I got a chance to find out.

Didn't score as much, but...

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 8.18.31 PM.png

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post

Well, I got a chance to find out.

Didn't score as much, but...

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 8.18.31 PM.png
                        WTG, Naboka, and congrats on the high scores. Happy playing as always, and I hope all is well. It seems as though all of that studying has paid off as it appears you are turning into one of the big fish.

Comment

I was just playing a new board, and my high-scoring word was STAINLESSNESSES... then just as time was about to run out, I realized that I could also play STRAINLESSNESSES. I started typing and the bell rang, and I never got to find out if it would count. If anyone plays this board and gets a chance at STRAINLESSNESSES, I'd love to know if it worked! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by jbud1980 View Post

WTG, Naboka, and congrats on the high scores. Happy playing as always, and I hope all is well. It seems as though all of that studying has paid off as it appears you are turning into one of the big fish.
                            Thanks, Jbud.

Definitely moved from welter weight to light heavy. Still can't compete in the heavy weight and super heavy weight ranks. But have been beating those players when they bother to drop down to lighter classes.

My play still isn't consistent. Scored a 173 vs the high 438 a couple of days ago. Barely got 400 yesterday against one of your games where you were at the doorstep of 600.

The successes mask the considerable number of failures and miscues. But failure is just succes waiting to happen. If you never fail, you'll never succeed. How frigging inspiratioinal is that?

Think what defines the really talented is consistency. That I be not. Inconsistent still. Impressive at moments.

Have learned a lot of new words from your games. So, thanks for the help.

​​​​​​​You're not doing too shabby yourself: averaging over 100 words and close to 500 points per game. And your average points per word is impressive. All the top 9 average pointers play few words.

Comment

Originally posted by John13verse34 View Post
                              I was just playing a new board, and my high-scoring word was STAINLESSNESSES... then just as time was about to run out, I realized that I could also play STRAINLESSNESSES. I started typing and the bell rang, and I never got to find out if it would count. If anyone plays this board and gets a chance at STRAINLESSNESSES, I'd love to know if it worked! :-D
                              Oh, what a bummer John, and yes, STRAINLESSNESSES is a valid word. I played it a while back, and of course, it had already been found. Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X