Forum

Go Back   Puzzle Baron Forums > Puzzle Baron > Circuits

Old 05-02-2015, 12:40 AM

Default maybe I'm a stat junkie, but...

I'm a newb here, and it's taking a while for me to grasp how much each factor (board size and difficulty, time) affects the scoring. I'm not sure either how difficult each board is, as I may have used a poorer approach on some than on others, how to judge?

I'm thinking that others may have a similar issue, so I've started recording my results as comments, X s (seconds) X t (turns) X p (points). eg: 492s 383t 69p

Hope others find it helpful. If I repeat a board several times it will become more useful, as we'll be able to compare the results and see, for example, that if a similar number of turns are used, and it's 100s quicker, it will make a difference of, oh, THAT many points. On that particular board.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:14 PM

Just played a board where someone else has put up this same information in the comments.

Player x - 249s 192t 56p
Sillyface- 172s 110t 52p

I'd have to guess that the score given is dependent upon previous player's performance, it certainly doesn't seem to be intrinsic to the board layout.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:18 AM

I'm starting to post five stats, the first three as before, followed by the fastest time under the bell curve, then the slowest time under the bell curve.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:18 AM

I wonder if the scoring system has changed. When I first started playing, setting a record on a 5x5 board would garner 4 points. Now when I set a record on the same size board, I get 8 points.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyface View Post
I'm starting to post five stats, the first three as before, followed by the fastest time under the bell curve, then the slowest time under the bell curve.
I like that idea, how about we do something like this:
268s 312t 132p
208h 1860L

I chose Upper case 'h' and 'l' because lower case 'l' looks weird with the numbers.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:00 PM

I wonder about the scoring system too.

I've been using f before the fastest time, s before the slowest.

EDITED TO ADD e.g. 137s 163t 107p f105 s1580

Last edited by sillyface; 05-22-2015 at 12:53 AM. Reason: to increase clarity
Old 05-25-2015, 04:09 PM

Trying to figure out the scoring system seems futile. From the same puzzle:
May 21st - 256s 213t 93p f133 s2230
May 25th- 149s 175t 113p f133 s2170

Obviously the data is somehow corrupted. The slowest ever time for a particular puzzle cannot get faster over time. I've previously noticed that the 'slowest times' under the bell curve are rounded off to five second increments; I now wonder if they're even generated from player's times. Higher 'slow times' do seem to affect scores, so yeah, futile.

Maybe the data isn't corrupted, maybe I've falsely assumed that data is used where it is not. Many other people seem to consider that I have a rather narrow idea of what is logical.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyface View Post
maybe I'm a stat junkie, but...
Ain't nothin' wrong with being a stat junkie. I'm kinda one myself....and a popcorn junkie, too!
Old 05-26-2015, 06:38 AM

"Points are awarded according to each puzzle's difficulty, and the speed with which it is solved." I think difficulty simply refers to the size of the puzzle. Number of turns does not seem to be a factor at all.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:14 PM

Points depend on how fast you complete a board compared to the average of times to date. You should always score maximum points for a record time, but may later score fewer points with a quicker time !

eg For 11 x 19 boards the maximum score is 199 points.
- player A takes 400 seconds = 199 points for posting the record time for that board.
- player B then takes 200 seconds = also scores 199 points, new record.
- player A tries again, takes 300 seconds but will score fewer than 199 points despite being quicker than their earlier attempt, because they are no longer the fastest.

Just a theory but 'slowest times' may appear to get faster if another player starts a puzzle but doesn't complete it (Save Progress button). Their board is saved for 24 hours, with the clock ticking and sooner or later they will hold the slowest time. Then if they fail to complete the board within 24 hours their time is dropped and no longer counts as the slowest time.

Last edited by misseratic; 05-30-2015 at 03:23 AM.