• Show
Clear All

• Synonymous
    replied
    Yep! Tough day for him.

Leave a comment:

• Eureka
    replied
    It's good of you to remember their anniversary, Synonymous! That must have been a tough day for her husband this year.

Leave a comment:

• Synonymous
    replied
    Thanks Eureka. I often think about abra and usually smile when I see her comments once I solve a puzzle. You know My 25th was their wedding anniversary. I didn't put that on Chat but did remember it.

Leave a comment:

• Eureka
    replied
    The following was recently posted on abra's Facebook page by her son. I thought I should include it here since it is also for all of us:

I used to subscribe to a quote subreddit, and I'd send these quotes to Mom. Some she knew, some she knew the authors, some I figured maybe she could use later (she never mentioned one coming up). I unsubscribed after she passed because I guess it bothered me to see them. Later, I decided that reddit is not good for my mental health.

But I still come across one once in a while. So Mom, for you and your friends on the quote board...

"A problem is a chance for you to do your best."

- Duke Ellington

Leave a comment:

• blueladyblue
    replied
    Oh no! This makes me so sad. I always enjoyed her comments, and she will be missed! And thank you, Nitefly5150 (Gail's son). I'm glad your mom enjoyed the puzzles and the crypto community. It's amazing how seemingly simple pleasures bring light into someone's life.

Leave a comment:

• skeeter
    replied
    I miss her every time I come to this site, and I think of her often throughout the day.

Leave a comment:

• Synonymous
    replied
    Nice. Thanks Eureka.

Leave a comment:

• hrossa
    replied
    Cubs! Near to Abra's heart, but not as near as her family. Thanks Eureka.

Leave a comment:

• LLapp
    replied
    "GO CUBS GO"

I love that.
    Eureka, thank you for posting that photo.

Leave a comment:

• Eureka
    replied
    333110117_913166273198970_5722042094725007966_n.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Eureka
    replied
    With the start of Lent yesterday, I was reminded that abra used to give up cryptograms for Lent every year. She didn't make a big announcement about it, but would just disappear during Lent. If someone asked where she'd been, she'd tell them. Then last year I noticed that her name kept popping up during Lent and I figured that she had decided to give up something else instead. Then, after Lent was over, she said that she had given up playing cryptograms as usual, but would pop in from time to time to read the Chat Box so she wouldn't miss anything that was shared there. I was really touched by that, and it illustrates so well how much she cared about us. She really did have a special gift for making people feel good about themselves. Thank you for that, abra!

Leave a comment:

• montyb
    replied
    I shall miss Abra's whimsy and common sense. At one time I believe she left a comment that she had spent part of her life in Indiana, and I commented that we could have been neighbors and that she should have stopped by for a spell.
    One of my fantasies was winning the lottery and inviting all the cryptogrammers with whom I have interacted to a get together weekend somewhere. (My treat of course; after all I just won the lottery.) Abra's name was always near the top of my list.
    Goodbye, Abra. You may not have realized it, but the world did become a better place for your presence.

Leave a comment:

• hrossa
    replied
    Thank you Eureka and abra's son, I was blessed to see the beautiful service and think about abra. I had never heard the poem about the ship, and I loved it too.

Leave a comment:

• Synonymous
    replied
    Thank you Eureka for sharing this.

Leave a comment:

• Deanna48
    replied
    What a beautiful service. I was stunned when the pastor mentioned our crypto-community! And the poem about the ship was lovely. Thank you for sharing this!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X