• Show
Clear All

• LLapp
    replied
    Group Hug!!!

Leave a comment:

• gryhnd51
    replied
    Well, it took me long enough to read this!!

WELCOME, little sister. I'm so happy you're here

Leave a comment:

• Rookie66
    replied
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. Gryhnd had to walk me through how to use this!! She's the best sister!! Debbie

Leave a comment:

• munchlet
    replied
    This is your sister and I am now playing competitively.......OMG.......I must be nuts.
    Then you're in good company, Rookie66.

Andrea

Leave a comment:

• wvwoman
    replied
    hi!

the more, the merrier--welcome, rookie!

Leave a comment:

• maradnu
    replied
    Welcome

Welcome Rookie66

I hope you enjoy your playing

Leave a comment:

• LLapp
    replied
    Welcome Rookie66! Any sister of gryhnd51 is a friend here.

Leave a comment:

• Rookie66
    replied
    gryhnd51

This is your sister and I am now playing competatively.......OMG.......I must be nuts. I am Rookie66. Love you

Leave a comment:

• gryhnd51
    replied
    My sister was just here for a visit. She had always told me that she "could NOT solve cryptograms, but because I was playing, she decided to give it a try. She played as a guest, never asked for hints, and I was amazed at how well she did.....she's slow, but weren't we ALL at first??
    I'm not sure this adds anything whatsoever to the conversation, but I just wanted to share that info.

Leave a comment:

• Lurker
    replied
    When new quotes are introduced, there's a period of stats-gathering. It's a couple of months. Long enough that the puzzles get played a lot, but not so much that players start to memorize them and skew the results. It's kind of annoying, because you can't set a record. Then the % and average speed are set, and only the records change. Everyone goes on a binge to set records before the super-fast players get to them. It has been a LONG time since a batch of new quotes was released.

And yes, as far as I know, the stats period includes every time the puzzle is played. Only records and comments are reserved for registered players.

Leave a comment:

• fishbum
    replied
    So statistics include everyone who tries?

Leave a comment:

• Lurker
    replied
    A lot of people play and don't compete, or don't care about their %. Before I had an account, I only finished about half of the ones I tried. Short attention span.

Leave a comment:

• fishbum
    replied
    I am curious about very low success rates. Do folks just give up if they don't see solution right away. No real interest in solving? I just solved one with a success rate < than 7% and gave it about 4 or 5 difficulty rating but certainly not that hard. Took me about 2.5 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• fishbum
    replied
    Thanks Lurker.

Leave a comment:

• Lurker
    replied
    When quotes are first posted on the site, they don't have stats. They get solved for a few months to collect averages for time and how often they are solved. You're right; the success rates are usually less than 50%. All the Guests on the site - and the members who don't care about their competitive stats - tend to bring down the averages.

You can't use hints when you're logged in. I wouldn't call it a failure. If you can't solve a quote with all the hints... that's a failure. :P Admin had to stop allowing Guests to set speed records because they were getting very low times on really hard quotes.

Hope that answers your questions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X