Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do some people solve these cryptograms so fast? Is Bansais a robot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• badbob
    replied
    since i have the reflexes of a manatee, i don't concern myself with speed

Leave a comment:

• TimmyTee
    replied
    I think I'm actually an anomaly. As I solve and the solution starts to emerge, I enjoy "making it last!" I especially like the ones where there is a word or two that makes sense in both the incorrect and the correct way, because it takes more cogitating.

Leave a comment:

• oddcouple
    replied
    No, you might recognize a puzzle that you'd seen half a dozen times before and it might help you solve it more quickly. But to actually make a copy of a quote and then pull it up from reference? That would make your time SLOWER, not faster.

BTW, I just broke one of Bansai's record a few weeks ago. By ONE SECOND! First time I'd beaten one of his. There's a reason he's so fast. Like Tony's Frosted Flakes, he's GREAT!!!

Leave a comment:

• sageorge
    replied
    Most important factor?

Not to dismiss the abilities of the lightning-fast solvers, but recently many new entries have been posted and it seems that none of the prominent fastest-timers hold records. To me this suggests that having solved a given puzzle before, keeping a copy of it, and waiting until it pops up again may be very important in setting records.

Leave a comment:

• wvwoman
    replied
    i was also going to post that. here's another string of them by bansai:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4jDS...ature=youtu.be

Leave a comment:

• Lurker
    replied
    Lol, LLapp, I was going to post that!

Leave a comment:

• LLapp
    replied
    Originally posted by andyd View Post
    There only so many 4 letter words that begin and end with the same letter.
    Hi andyd. And guess what -- there's a thread for that!

Leave a comment:

• oddcouple
    replied
    Well, I've had a lot of top 20 months for times lately. I credit it to a faster server. And although I've only set one record this year, I've had more than 200 sub 20 second times. Even about a dozen sub 10s, but no records on any of them. So I know it can be done. The "robots" are actually incredibly fast solvers with speedy servers. Bansai, nanrich, and seven or eight others still impress me every time I solve a quote in what I think is very fast only to see their speed about a third of mine. The woman from Finland boggles my mind since English isn't even her native language.

Leave a comment:

• andyd
    replied
    I admit, my pace is tectonic. It took me 6hrs to solve my first cryptoquote. I slowwly worked my way up. It is all about letter patterns. There only so many 4 letter words that begin and end with the same letter. Bansai and most others type way faster than I do

Leave a comment:

• mikehallbackhoe
    replied
    Originally posted by darkyr View Post
    I'll pitch in for that DNA test. Who's collecting?
    I guess I will collect the money. Cash is preferred, but checks will be accepted, just make them out to mike hall, and this might be expensive, so keep it coming.

Leave a comment:

• darkyr
    Guest replied
    DNA test

I'll pitch in for that DNA test. Who's collecting?

Leave a comment:

• pj48
    replied
    The slow connection LLapp mentions, along with the fact that I'm a poor typist, is the reason I don't bother to play in competition mode. It's frustrating to wait for a letter to fill in, or to have to fix a typo, but it's still worth solving, and easier than doing the paper-and-pencil cryptograms I used to do for decades. By signing in, I get to add comments, but by remaining in non-competitive mode I also get to ask for a hint (or 3) if I really, really get stumped, since my lack of typing skill precludes competition in any case.

Leave a comment:

• mikehallbackhoe
    replied
    bansai is not a robot . possibly an android, but not a robot. dna testing will be necessary to know for sure.

Leave a comment:

• LLapp
    replied
    Originally posted by damsel22 View Post
    I just want to add, LLapp, that your times are quite respectable as well. Don't forget to give yourself some credit!
    Thanks Damsel!

Leave a comment:

• LLapp
    replied
    Thank you, Lurker!

OMG. I was very tired . . .

I'll fix it. Thank you!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X