Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problematic quote

I ran into this one tonight.

"Skeins of water appeared among willows and ground-hugging leaves, reflecting the sky with a softness that made them spectral. A pond lay encircled by reeds surprisingly tall: caught between their spears hung white tufts from the the muskoxen who'd stopped to drink then moved on."

Please note the double "the" in the final part.

A brief Google search shows that there is a missing word. Here's the actual quote:

Skeins of water appeared among willows and ground-hugging leaves, reflecting the sky with a softness that made them spectral. A pond lay encircled by reeds surprisingly tall: caught between their spears hung white tufts from the umingmak, the muskoxen who’d stopped to drink then moved on.

At any rate, I respectfully submit this that the puzzle may be removed until / unless correctd.

Puzzle is now deleted, thanks!
    If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Another problem quote:

"We are always acting on what has just finished happening. It happened at least one-thirtieth of a second ago. We think we are in the present but we aren't. The present we know is only a movies of the past and we will really never be able to control the present through ordinary means."

Note the "a movies" - the actual quote rightly says "a movie".

This one can be fixed by deletes the "S" from the quote in the puzzle, and removing the "S" from ASHTREES in one of the clues (and then, of course, making sure all the remaining S's are properly accounted for).

Comment

Puzzle is now deleted, thanks!
        If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

"Credulous acceptance of baloney can cost you money; that's what P.T. Barnum meant when he said, "There's a sucker born every minute". But it can be much more dangerous than that, and when governments and societies lose the capacity for critical thinking, the results can be catastrophic, however sympathetic we may be to those who have bought the baloney."

Nothing wrong with the quote, but a couple issues with the clues:
          OLYMPICHOSTCITY
          — Athens in 2004 of Beijing in 2008 (3)

Shouldn't that be "or" instead of "of" ?

GOESAWOL
          — Leaves the base illegally (2)

"AWOL" isn't a word. It's an acronym for "Absent Without Official Leave".

Comment

But certain acronyms are in such widespread use that they are considered words, SCUBA and RADAR, for example. One could argue that AWOL is in the same category.

Comment

I'm pretty much a Miss Thistlebottom, but I agree about AWOL. So does Merriam-Webster's online dictionary.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/AWOL

Also, of course "of" should be "or," but it's such a (distressingly) common error, I think a lot of people will automatically read it correctly, and those who don't will realize the error and will not be misled. It should be corrected, but there is no need to delete the puzzle on this account.
              Last edited by DogMa; 06-03-2021, 08:57 AM.

Comment

I like Miss Thistlebottom better than DogMa!!

Comment

Well, I thought it was clever when I came up with it years ago, when I started a blog about my dog. Miss Thistlebottom would be a better handle for here, I agree! :-)

Comment

Dogma, was it a "thorny" experience to pet your dog's rear end? I hear the readers' groans; sorry.

Comment

LOL! No, I meant "DogMa" seemed like a clever name for the owner of a dog and a dog blog. (But you got that, right? And you probably know where "Miss Thistlebottom" comes from.) Actually, I can see Miss Thistlebottom being a good name (or at least a good nickname) for a dog who's allowed to go off-road. After a walk yesterday, I spent about 30 minutes finding and removing tiny Velcro-like seed pods from our current dog's coat.

Comment

Working...
                      X