Complaints about quotations and sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complaints about quotations and sources

I just finished a puzzle in which the quotation (from a novel) described the water in a lake, a soft breeze, rustling leaves, etc. It amused me, given the complaints about such quotes, but it didn't bother me, which made me think that the players who complain about such content are probably playing for hours each day. When you consume that much content, of course it's going to seem repetitive. Particularly when all of the quotations are selected by one person, it's unrealistic to expect a huge variety of content, expressed in a huge variety of (not overly idiosyncratic) styles. I'm not knocking people who spend hours a day doing this (I spend hours a day on a jigsaw puzzle site), I'm just pointing something out.

I used to spend hours a day reading, which I wish I could still do, but I may have permanently shortened my attention span by spending too much time online. But I will try to be on the lookout for suggestions to send to Stephen. I don't know how he can take a quotation and make an acrostic out of it, without having any letters left over. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it, unless there's a "How to Create Acrostics" book out there somewhere.

Stephen: I wrote out a version of this and mistakenly sent it as a comment on Puzzle #47296623. Please delete it there if it's not too much trouble.

Originally posted by DogMa View Post
    I don't know how he can take a quotation and make an acrostic out of it, without having any letters left over. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it, unless there's a "How to Create Acrostics" book out there somewhere..
    Based on the repretition of clues and subjects, as well as the recycling of clues from other crossword sites, etc., it is almost certain that these acrostics are all generated automatically using crossword-creation software similar Cruciverb, CrosswordCompiler, Crossfire, etc.

The bulk of Stephen's work likely consists of picking out quotes and doing minor tweaks only to clue lists spit out by the software.

And yes, the selection of quotes for the September tranche of puzzles was AWFULLY boring and repetitive. The newer ones are much, much better.

Comment

Working...
    X