Would like an option to make the murder room tiles the same color as all the others

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Afterburner
    Premium Member
    • Jun 2022
    • 11

    #1

    Would like an option to make the murder room tiles the same color as all the others

    I seem to have a blind spot when it comes to including the murder room in my various calculations. When I am looking at the puzzle as a whole and looking at rooms with a certain number of doors, or a certain number of steps from one suspect to another, my brain very often fails to include the murder room because it is not the same color as the rest of the tiles. I have failed many puzzles (where failure means "made a crucial mistake") because of this.

    I know it's silly, but that's the way my brain works. No help for it.

    It would certainly be useful to me if there was an *option* somewhere to make the murder room tiles the same color as the rest of the tiles. Obviously I don't want to impose this feature on anybody who doesn't want it. But a toggle in the options would be great.

    Also, as long as I'm asking for features, a "Keep this whole room" button would be swell.
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Apr 2007
    • 874

    #2
    An option to toggle color of the murder room is a great idea - I'm adding that to my list.

    For "Keep this whole room" can you give me an example use case where/how you would use that feature?
    If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

    Comment

    • Afterburner
      Premium Member
      • Jun 2022
      • 11

      #3
      Originally posted by admin
      For "Keep this whole room" can you give me an example use case where/how you would use that feature?
      Any instance where you know which room or rooms a suspect is in, and want to eliminate them from all other rooms.

      In many of the harder puzzles, you can quickly deduce the identity of the killer because there will be several clues which immediately exclude certain suspects from the murder room. An example: "Every route from Martha's room to the murder room must first go through William's room." This tells you that neither Martha nor William are in the murder room. And it only takes a few such clues to eliminate every suspect but one from the murder room.

      So now we know the killer. It's Bob. We know he's somewhere in the murder room, and we also know he's not anywhere else. We want to exclude him from all the other rooms. To do that under the current paradigm, I have to highlight Bob, then click "Keep only", then click each individual tile in the murder room, then click "Apply".

      It would be handy to be able to click "Keep only", then click a "claim this whole room" button, then click "Apply". Basically a button that highlights the entire room in green, rather than making you click each individual tile in the room.
      Last edited by Afterburner; Today, 07:25 AM.

      Comment

      • admin
        Administrator
        • Apr 2007
        • 874

        #4
        Gotcha. I like that idea, but have to find an elegant way to add it as an option without cluttering up the board.

        Also, just in case people don't know - when you are in suspect view mode, you don't have to individually click each tile to eliminate them (or in Keep Only, to keep them), you can click once and drag to make many tiles X out (or keep) all at once.
        If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

        Comment

        • Afterburner
          Premium Member
          • Jun 2022
          • 11

          #5
          Originally posted by admin
          Gotcha. I like that idea, but have to find an elegant way to add it as an option without cluttering up the board.
          Perhaps by replacing the "x" button in "Keep only" mode? Presumably if I'm in "Keep only" mode, then I don't need a button to exclude a room. I can do that in the normal mode.



          Originally posted by admin
          Also, just in case people don't know - when you are in suspect view mode, you don't have to individually click each tile to eliminate them (or in Keep Only, to keep them), you can click once and drag to make many tiles X out (or keep) all at once.
          That I did not know! Great tip! Thanks!

          Is it possible to add CTRL-Select and SHIFT-Select as another way of selecting multiple tiles? I am an old man with 40+ years of computing experience. CTRL-Select and SHIFT-Select are pretty firmly ingrained in my keyboard DNA by this point.

          Comment

          • mybluedecember
            Member
            • May 2021
            • 16

            #6
            Another request - in the setting option where you can switch from the "minimum steps" to the "number of doors", could there be a minimum number of doors from a given room to a different room? I always get tripped up by the clues where one suspect has to go through a minimum of 3 doors to get to another suspect, rather than a minimum number of steps.

            Comment

            Working...