Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret code

11631333313426154215651132145512112611321315146112 3615112516114142

OK, so recently I made up a way of sending coded messages and I was just wondering how difficult it would be for someone to crack.
    So let's say, for example, that you are in the army and you caught a suspected spy and you found a slip of paper with those numbers on it.

(There is a space in the number near the end that looks like this '112 361'. That space is not meant to be there, but I can't edit it out for some reason. The number above is one continuous number.)
    Last edited by spoonrider; 05-27-2019, 05:39 PM.

OMG, yet another post from somebody who joined the site the same day, asking us to crack a coded message for them! Spoonrider, do you work for an agency? Are you a terrorist? Our decoding fee varies, depending.

Comment

Well I figured that I could kill two birds with one stone. First of all I could get an idea as to the efficacy of my coded message thing and I could also give the people here a good brainteaser of indeterminate difficulty. My first thought though was to seek out puzzle enthusiast people, that's what lead me here.

Comment

Welcome, then. Could you add spaces to separate the words, or are spaces encoded also?

Comment

Lol, would you ask that question to the spy? Sorry, but I can't give any hints of any kind, because that would defeat the purpose of what I'm trying to achieve here. Well at least no hints for right now.

I understand that this may seem to be a bit tedious or redundant, but believe me this is actually a worthwhile puzzle thing.
          Last edited by spoonrider; 05-26-2019, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Hi, this looks like a great puzzle.
            Is the space between the digits two thirds of the way through the message intentional and part of the puzzle?

Comment

I've solved it

Comment

The space between the numbers about two-thirds the way down is not intentional. I don't know why it added one there. Before I posted the original post, I copied the number and pasted it into notepad, and then I clicked post, and then I noticed the space between the numbers, so I tried to correct it with an edit, but the space still remained. I know that I didn't add the space in because I checked it in notepad and there was no space. So maybe there is a limit on word sizes or something. Now that I think about it, I'll go and add an edit to the original post stating that that space was unintentional.
                Last edited by spoonrider; 05-27-2019, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nedzeppelin1453 View Post
                  I've solved it
                  What does it say?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ernests View Post

. . . and how do you pronounce that?

Comment

How spoonrider's cipher works (hidden by white text, in case you want to avoid it)

Put the letters in a 6x6 grid with a to f in row 1, g to l in row 2, etc. Then each letter is encoded to a two digit number according to its position in the grid. So a = 11, b=12, c=13,...g=21, h=22,...z=52. To encode a message, change all letters to their corresponding number, encode the blanks as any of 53 to 66, then concatenate all these two-digit numbers into one long string of digits.

Comment

Working...
                        X