Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How fast can you solve this tricky puzzle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fast can you solve this tricky puzzle?

The world record for solving this tricky puzzle is 13 seconds
    It took my 40 minutes to solve

I got an answer, based on non-decimal-based arithmetic, and a descending progression of bases.

Comment

Maybe don't click PattersonPaul's link. I did, but got a warning from my antivirus software.
      Spoiler alert, my solution is in the next sentence.
      You can find many different patterns for short series such as this. I got an answer in a couple of minutes using another pattern than kb83 (though I like yours better, kb83). Here's another pattern that works. By adding the previous sum from the line above to the two new addends in the current line, you get 40 in the last line.

Comment

Spoiler alert here too: I came up with 52 as an answer in about a minute. I came up with it this way:

4x1 + 1 = 5
        5x2 + 2 = 12
        6x3 + 3 = 21
        11x4 + 8 = 52

Dunno.

Comment

Nice, Fudi, that's fun!

Comment

So let me better explain my solution.

In base 6, 1+4 = 5 (of course this is true in any base of 6 or higher)
            In base 5, 2 + 5 = 12 (but of course the left side of the equation is not really written in base 5)
            In base 4, 3 + 6 = 21
            and in base 3, 8 + 11 = 201. So my answer was 201.

So a better way to say it is, my solution is the result of adding the 2 addends on the left (in base 10), and then converting the result to the next lower base in the progression.

Comment

That's an interesting solution, kb. But beginning the pattern with base 6 seems kind of random to me. I dunno. To me, it seems more logical that the first equation would make use of the number 1, the 2nd equation would make use of the number 2, and so on. Just my humble opinion.

Comment

^ This one is my favoriet, so far.

Comment

I like hrossa's answer of just keeping the running total sum

Comment

The one I came up with was A + B really means A(B+1). Like Fudi's, but ends in 96. I'm sure there are plenty of others. Hrossa's has more elegance.

Comment

Ooh, another good one. Really, they are all equally elegant (or inelegant) because all rely on an unseen rule behind the lines. It's fun how easy it is to find new ones.

Comment

Just dropping in to say I'm glad there's a forum thread where the math people among us can mingle. And with that, I'm outta here.

Comment

Add 1 to the second number, then multiply it with the first.

Comment

Fudi is correct, but if you can find other valid answers then they are also valid. Though Im inclined to think that the simpler the solution the better.

Comment

Yes yes ... everybody's solution is right, of course, but mine is the *most* right!!! So cool! What do I win?? (Tee hee.)

Comment

Working...
                              X