No announcement yet.

RIP bansaisequoia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karen Kartheiser is with Joseph Kartheiser and 7 others.

1 hr

Joseph L. Kartheiser found peace September 24, 2019. Joseph was born November 17, 1961 to Leo F. and the late Patricia M. Kartheiser. Joseph graduated from Muskego High School and was a long time resident of Boca Raton, FL. He is survived by his brother Frank (Mary) Kartheiser of Waukesha, WI; sisters Mary (Stephen) Mette of Berea, OH; and Karen Kartheiser of Franklin, WI. Uncle of Benjamin Kartheiser; the late Julia Kartheiser; Arthur (Clara) Sobczak IV; and Kaitlin (Steven) Pisk.

A memorial gathering will be held Sunday, November 10 at the Hickory Skywalk at VMP, 8545 W Beloit Rd., West Allis, WI. from 2:00 pm until 5:00 pm with a time for sharing at 3:00 pm.
    In lieu of flowers, memorials to NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness or the charity of your choice.

Image may contain: 1 person, eyeglasses and indoor
    Image may contain: 1 person, indoor

Comment

Oh, no. Took a break from this site to deal with losing a good friend (and a family feud to boot); came back yesterday thinking I might enter the November competition. Before solving a single crypto, I saw this post re Bansaisequoia (Joseph K). With gryhnd51, I am heartbroken. Although I never played directly against him, he set the standard. When I started gaining speed, his records were my favorite challenge -- and he left so many! But I shall never hope to equal his true genius. Didn't Joseph play the piano? So do I (after an appallingly amateur fashion), but he had mastered it. His knowledge of classical and jazz was comprehensive. Never had a chance to chat with him about the music I love.

DiGirl28 mentioned national crossword contests in NYC. I found a Google books excerpt titled: Crossworld: One Man's Journey into America's Crossword Obsession.

Joseph Kartheiser, a technical writer from Boca Raton, FL, won second place in Division C of an America Crossword Puzzle Tournament in Stamford, CT. Will Shortz announced the winners on Sunday, hour and a half late. By that time, Joseph/Bansai had left (he had to work, you see, on Monday in Boca Raton). There's more in Google's book preview. With luck, you can read it by clicking the link. I was searching for "musician," found this instead. Serendipitous, perhaps. Now there's a good puzzle word.

RIP, dear friend. If there's an afterlife, it must be filled with good music and challenging puzzles.

https://books.google.com/books?id=cw...sician&f=false

Comment

Well, that didn't come through right. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
        X