Something strange in the competitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something strange in the competitions

As of right now, will0416 is in 28th place in the high score competition for the month, and his (her?) average solve time is an amazing 12.1 seconds. But he is not listed in the fastest solver competition at all, even though he ought to be in first place. Am I missing something?

I don't see this rule written anywhere now, but I recall reading that a minimum 75% solving rate is the eligibility cut-off for the Fastest Solver competition. (That makes sense, since otherwise you could just keep clicking "Play" until you get the easiest puzzles.) Will0416's solving rate is below 75%. That's my best guess.

Hmm, I wonder if that requirement still applies, but the text disappeared with the site migration.

Edit: Or maybe the cutoff was 80%? I forget.
    Last edited by LLapp; 12-30-2019, 12:33 AM.

Comment

I wondered if that was it, though you would expect to see that in the description. I bet the cutoff is 75%, since last month will0416 took first place for fastest solver with a 12.7 second average solve time and a 78.2% success rate. Personally, I think a 12-second average solve time is pretty amazing even with a success rate in the 70s. He (she?) may really be testing just how low that number can get while you're still above 75% success.

Comment

I'm much more interested in completing puzzles completely than getting on the leaderboard for fastest time. About one of four is sub-20, so if I skipped that many puzzles I could probably be in the top 10 regularly for speed, but that wouldn't give me satisfaction. As to the percent to be on the fastest leaderboard, I believe you are correct that it needs to be at 75%.

Comment

Oddcouple -- I've come around to the same way of thinking. For a while, I experimented with shaving seconds off my average solve time, even if that meant giving up on puzzles that I couldn't do quickly. But the novelty of that wore off pretty quickly. Then I went back to trying to solve as many puzzles as I could. Even then, though, I found I had to give up on some puzzles that just seemed impossible. Then, about two years ago, I decided to try to solve every puzzle, no matter how long it took. Once I committed to it, I found I could do it (though sometimes it takes a very long time!). I don't think I've given up on a puzzle in over two years now. I have yet to get the "rudder maun" puzzle, however!

Comment

Yeah, my solve rate took a pretty huge dip this month (and has gone down a lot in the past few months from my usual 80%-ish clip), I guess that explains why my time is excluded. I think I just find it fun to go as fast as I can, and for any especially hard puzzles I just go on the guest account option to solve them. Maybe I'm a little bit obsessive over this time thing but it does keep me motivated!

Comment

Well, we all enjoy seeing your times...so keep it up!

Comment

Thank you, Deanna48!

Comment

And Will manages to get his solve rate up to 75% before midnight and takes first place in the fastest solver competition. Way to go!

Comment

I was hoping for a top 3 finish, but alas will is just too good.

Comment

Working...
                    X