WTF! 7 seconds??!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF! 7 seconds??!

Okay, I know I'm new here, but how in the hell can someone solve a 25 word cryptogram in 7 seconds when it takes at least that long to fill in all the letters IF they knew the quote beforehand. Is there a finite number of quotes that recycle so one could memorize them all?

Welcome, Skwhite! Those fast solves are indeed valid. Don't forget that the letters auto-fill -- when you type an A, all the A's instantly fill in -- so you don't actually type 25 words. Usually you don't have to type more than 22 letters. The hard part is not typing letters but knowing which letters to type where -- and that takes so much practice that you need to be a bit obsessive to eventually get to the single-digit solve times. Really, it takes more hours of practice than most people are willing to admit. Anyway, here's a whole forum thread devoted to your question: https://forum.puzzlebaron.com/forum/...-robot#post857

Comment

Actually, sometimes you do recognize a quote AFTER you start to solve it. But most of the regulars on here have sub-20 second times and a pretty good percentage have single digit times. Seven seconds has been my best time TWICE. but neither time did I set a new record. The super-solvers can set new records several times a day. The rest of us are just happy for the occasional glimpse of the Baron.

Comment

It also helps to be an amazing touch typist (which I am not, and that is my excuse for never ever getting below 16 seconds) I think some people on here spend an hour or two each day limbering up with special finger exercises.

Comment

Thank you, everyone. I never intended to imply that the quick solves were from cheating, I just thought that maybe there was a magic Crypto-fairy godmother that I hadn't been properly introduced to.
          Anyway, LLapp, thanks for the reply, I took some time and read through those old posts and watched a few videos...amazing.
          One more question...has it been discussed about having a "screw it, I give up, just show me the answer" BUTTON? I got frustrated with a couple of shorties and I just wanted to see it solved!
          HAVE FUN EVERYONE!

Comment

Son of a bitch! Guess you guys are right! I just got my first-ever "above average". I usually stretch the end of the bell curve out into the nether worlds!

Comment

Congrats! Yes, practice does help!!

Comment

Thanks, Deanna!

Comment

Skwite,
                  I think there's different types of us too. Speed solving is way down on my list of satisfactions. I like the sensation of watching a chaotic scene slowly come together into something that makes sense. That process interests me enough that I can even savor and solve slower than necessary just to drag it out.

Sometimes when the "the's" and the "that's" and the "to's" and the "you's" fall rapidly into place, it's kind of fun. But I especially enjoy the ones where the whole puzzle is essentially in place except for a word or two that is just weird enough to make it a challenge.

Comment

i think it only took me about 60000 puzzles to regularly get into the top 20 list. keep at it!

Comment

Wow! Finally a chat from Skywhite sans a curse word!

Comment

Skywhite -- You can actually watch the late, great Bansaisequoia at work in this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCnn4dgZuPY

Comment

Working...
                        X