Response Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Response Time

Has anyone had a problem with a time lag when entering letters? This doesn't happen for each puzzle (which makes me think the problem isn't on my end), but for others I sometimes need to wait about 5 seconds or more to get the focus for some text boxes, and then a wait for the letter to be entered.

Thanks.

Laura

It happens to me quite often and it's usually worse at the start of a new puzzle. I've been blaming AOL although I have no proof. Opallady

Comment

Response Time

It's happening to me during the entire cryptogram. I wind up trying to enter a letter several times and if I try to move to another one too quickly, it goes into the wrong box.

The problem is a recent one. (And it's doing a number on my solve time )

Laura

Comment

Lag time

I have not had a lag time on letter entry.

I have seen a lag several times when I hit enter to complete a puzzle, waiting for a while before it tells me whether the puzzle was correct. Often at the bottom of my screen it will show it is waiting on one or another ad server.

Comment

hang time

I also get that lag time on occasion, but it doesn't seem to happen often enough to have a great effect on solving time. Nonetheless, it probably does shave a few tenths of a second off my time at the end of the month. I think other factors can have an even greater effect on solving time. Using a notebook can slow you down. You may have problems with the cursor making jumps across the screen as happens with notebooks. I think the flat keyboard slows me down a few seconds on average. I can type much faster with a desktop keyboard, especially one that is curved and ergonomic. I think sometimes a poor wifi signal may pare down your solving time. Worst of all is going to a bar with wifi. After your sixth Martini, you really take a turn for the worse.

Comment

Hang Time

Five martinis and solving...that's pretty impressive. I'd be under the table after number 3.

Laura

Comment

Lag time

I understand the problem with average speed. I've taken to not answering the phone when I am in the middle of a puzzle. If I can complete it before the call goes to voice mail, fine, otherwise that's why I have voice mail. It has upset a few people calling me though.

Comment

Solve times

I've done the phone thing on numerous occasions. A few times I've walked away from my computer not realizing my browser had opened a second puzzle. I've chalked up anywhere from 2000 to 3000 seconds that way.

I need to get into the habit of checking scores more often. However, lately I feel like I'm going to have to quit my job and start solving cryptograms full time.

Laura

Comment

Laura

I've had a few puzzles that gave me fits and kept my average time higher than it could be. I've also had some times when things just did not click so well and it took me longer than normal.

You say you need to get a job solving cryptos, but trying to stay competitive here sometimes feels like work.

Comment

Solving Times

What I meant is that in order to compete with the high scores these days you need to make solving cryptograms a full time job.

Laura

Comment

High scoring

I understand.

I just try to stay as close as I can. I only ever manage to get in the top ten about half the time (including what I did before the crash), and only once did I ever get into the top three on scoring (slow month).

I take the time perhaps a little too seriously, as I said, ignoring the phone when doing cryptos, and even ignoring people.

If I get too serious, it really begins to feel more like work than fun - that's when I have to back off some.

Comment

high scoring

My "other half" gets a bit grouchy when I shoo him away while in the middle of solving. I have tried to explain that there's no pause button and it really only takes me under a minute to solve most of the puzzles, but he just thinks I take it way too seriously. Maybe I do...I still think he can wait 'til I'm done.

I don't answer the phone either.

Comment

Stopping puzzles

I've had some of that with my "significant other".

I've tried "I'll be with you in a minute", then finishing that puzzle to see what she wants. Does not always go over well however.

Comment

Working...
                          X