No announcement yet.

Andy451

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To perhaps state the obvious: Does Andy's "name" have anything to do with "Fahrenheit 451?"

Comment

I've wondered the same for years TimmyTee. We may never know.

Comment

He's back! I remember seeing something (I think by Llapp) on another forum link I can't find now, about someone who had just died who sounded a lot like Andy, and I found it very convincing (and sad). But to my surprise, I recently found two new (2022) comments from Andy - the one I saw today was classic Andy, starting as an offbeat humorous stream-of-consciousness rant, and ending as an informed and intelligent contribution about the author of the quote. I for one am happy to have him back. At his best, he's very funny and sharp, while at his worst, you can just skip over it. I don't know why some people get so upset over him, and I wish everyone would refrain from the eternal "take your meds" comment after his long ones, which is really not funny and makes light of a serious issue that may or may not apply to Andy.

Comment

I agree with you completely! I'm glad he's back, too. Hopefully the negative comments will cease.

Comment

New Andy451 comments? I can't wait! He's definitely got a unique mind and some of his comments really are brilliant. I wish he'd comment in the Chat Box and let us know where he's been.

Comment

I've seen new ones, too! I think you have to read quite a few long Andy comments in order to get his style -- that's probably where the "meds" and "we need a length limit" comments come from.

Comment

I just found a new comment in relation to a comment on an old comment for the quote:

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."
                — Anne Frank
                Their original comment was dated April 11, 2016, and the new one September 11, 2022.
                Last edited by MadDoctor; 11-04-2023, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Good to know, MadDoctor.

Comment

I am among the folks who have criticized Andy for the length of his comments. I also have a few very long comments out there, but the vast majority of mine are fairly terse. I've found myself thinking that brevity is the soul of wit, upon seeing many of his screeds. He occasionally has some very good points but too often I don't have the time to dig those out of the almost endless stream of consciousness that typifies them. He is the print version of some folks I know who can talk for an hour or more without stopping, and sadly that gets boring. Sometimes it seems like he is just engaging in verbal gymnastics to show how smart and well read he is. Still, I much prefer him to those whose comments seem limited to calling other people morons, etc.

Comment

I used to denigrate Andy451 but learned to appreciate him after awhile. He is missed.

Comment

i always enjoy reading Andy451, sometime it's better than the quote and i don't recall him being mean and disrespectful to others

Comment

He’s back! I guess I don’t have to rant so much anymore. But hey, the more the merrier!

Comment

There are folks on this site who have outed themselves as teachers. Andy451 is one who probably never had a student fall asleep in class. I’m glad he’s back and I don’t skip his comments, nor do I believe he’s on meds. He might just be Don Quixote.

Comment

Working...
                            X