venting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• venting

Oh how very frustrating!!!!! I finally managed (for the first time!) a 100% solve last month and I was going along quite well this month too until last night, that is. I sat in front of that darn proverb for 15 minutes, completely stumped. Then my doorbell rang and it was all over from there. Goodbye 100%...

Of course, at 7:00 a.m. it popped into my head.

This is the one that got me, as simple as can be. Kind of embarrassing after the fact.

"The older the fiddler, the sweeter the tune."

It was the placement of the "o" and the "l" that got me. I wanted to put a vowel where the "l" was, so I kept trying to force an "i" in there. And I never imagined the second word starting with a vowel.

It's funny how you can be half asleep and something is that much clearer than when you were fully awake. I guess there's always next month.
    I AM disheartened though. And frustrated. And, to be honest, quite pissed off at myself for not having figured it out.

Who was at the door?

I am so obsessive about not missing that I wouldn’t have answered the door. I hope whoever was at yours was someone wonderful!

Comment

venting

I answered, and he is wonderful, but I don't think I was very pleasant to him for the first few minutes he was here.... I HATE missing them, but that one just would not come to me. Ah well, such is life.

Comment

venting

I just got the same proverb and I had that sucker in 24 sec. LOL!

Comment

venting

Good for you. Proverbs make me nervous.

Comment

How Frustrating !!

Kat:

I can really sympathize...you're an excellent player and I've been envious of your solve time. It's amazing how you can look at something and get it right away, and then look at it another time and be completely stumped.

I just got the following one from Ayn Rand......
            What a demanding pleasure that demands the use of ones mind! Not in the sense of problem solving, but in the sense of exercizing discrimination, judgment, awareness.

It was the "z" in exercising that got me, but it took forever.

I've turned into a fanatic cryptogram maniac and am not sure whether I would have answered the door. If there's a Cryptogrammers Anonymous chapter near where I live, I definitely need to join it.

Laura

Comment

venting

Laura:

I think that's absolutely wrong to spell exercising with a "z". Not fair at all. I probably would have racked my brain forever and still not figured out what was wrong. Glad you got it!

I, too, am addicted. Part of me wishes that I had more time to spend on these puzzles, and part of me wishes that I never found this site in the first place.

You are the 100% queen by the way, and your solve time ain't too shabby! Kudos!

Comment

Working...
              X