Aw, no! Not another newcomer!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Post

Hello, this is my first post in this forum. I love decoding cryptograms and Google found this site for me. Prior to this I just solved the ones that Dell magazine puts out.

I was reading this thread, and enjoying it and decided to mention that if the fermentation process for making beer is similar to the one for making wine then the yeast in beer is dead by the time you drink it. With wine making anyway, the life cycle of the yeast is involved in the fermentation process.

Bye for now.

Comment

I think beer is dead

Welcome to the forum, RainbowZen! To the best of my knowledge, the yeast in beer is not alive either. I have an acquaintance who actually holds a degree in fermentation science from the University of California Davis. He taught me that yeast is known as Saccharomyces cerevisiae.

Comment

beer?

Saccharomyces cerevisiae is a species of budding yeast. It is perhaps the most useful yeast owing to its use since ancient times in baking and brewing. It is believed that it was originally isolated from the skins of grapes (one can see the yeast as a component of the thin white film on the skins of some dark-colored fruits such as plums; it exists among the waxes of the cuticle). It is one of the most intensively studied eukaryotic model organisms in molecular and cell biology, much like Escherichia coli as the model prokaryote. It is the microorganism behind the most common type of fermentation. Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells are round to ovoid, 5–10 micrometres in diameter. It reproduces by a division process known as budding.

It is useful in studying the cell cycle because it is easy to culture, but, as a eukaryote, it shares the complex internal cell structure of plants and animals. S. cerevisiae was the first eukaryotic genome that was completely sequenced. The yeast genome database [1] is highly annotated and remains a very important tool for developing basic knowledge about the function and organization of eukaryotic cell genetics and physiology. Another important S. cerevisiae database is maintained by the Munich Information Center for Protein Sequences [2]. The genome is composed of about 13,000,000 base pairs and 6,275 genes, compactly organised on 16 chromosomes. Only about 5,800 of these are believed to be true functional genes. It is estimated that yeast shares about 23% of its genome with that of humans.

and that is it. Do I care? No. I just enjoy the effects.

Comment

Australian for beer?

And you are the puveyor of these effects unto others by trade. What an altruistic living you make. Thanks, kat!

Comment

yeast

Kat, did you already know that stuff, or did you look it up on the net? That was impressive to read - what do you do for a living?

I enjoy baking, not beer, so my knowledge of yeast is limited to bread making.

Comment

I wish!

Unfortunately, my knowledge of yeast comes straight from the internet.

I'm not a bad cook, but can't bake worth a dime. Not even brownies out of a box. I DO make a pretty good white chicken chili that goes well with a frosty brew...

And to answer the question of my occupation...I'm a bartender.

Comment

Baking

Yeah, baking is an exacting science, and requires patience. But I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by opallady View Post
                  Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Ben Franklin
                  hello everyone....i happen to have that very same quote on a plaque that hangs in our basement bar...how funny...

ok, so i'm new here and when i saw this thread i thought it a perfect place to introduce myself....
                  i just found this place and i'm addicted! i only ever got to do the puzzle in the newspaper, but now i'm hooked...glad to meet ya!

Comment

Greetings

Hi Pinkpetals, welcome to the site. (I love your avatar.) And this site is fun, but way too addicting as you have found ;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X