Wordle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChemEngineer

Let me guess: TimmyTee voted for Joe Biden, the incompetent racist who bribed Ukraine to stop investigating his son's criminal actions of buying influence through his father, Vice President.
    Then Biden had the audacity - the stupidity - of boasting to cameras of his bribery of Ukraine.
    And followers such as TimmyTee excuse it all away because they hate Trump so very much, and simply love millions of illegals coming across our southern border.....
    It was a joke. Remember those?

I can see your a Trumplican & so far as an American you have every right to have your opinions, except, this site isn't meant for that kind of harassment. Here we discuss words, learning & SHARED interests. If you want to start a fight - go elsewhere!

Comment

Oh 2cute, it's no big deal. Folks like this can't be engaged with anyway. In the absence of objective reality, there's just no percentage.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyTee View Post
        Oh 2cute, it's no big deal. Folks like this can't be engaged with anyway. In the absence of objective reality, there's just no percentage.
        Thanks Timmy. Yep, you're right. You can't reason with the unreasonable.
        Last edited by 2cute; 05-08-2022, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
          Enjoy the archives while you can. Since NY Times bought out Wordle, they are now going to each of the archives sites and asking them to take the archives down. They had not yet gotten to yours, Synonymous, when I checked just now, but they removed the archive I had been using on the metzger.media site. I wonder how long before the NY Times requires one to pay for their subscription in order to play Wordle. A friend of mine thinks that will come very soon. Sigh.
          The minute that happens, 100 duplicate sites emerge with similar names. I don't know if the NYT is headed in that direction, but my guess is that they get paid quite a bit for the information about who is playing Wordle, because that can get connected to the information the big information-sellers like Google and Facebook keep about you. They'd lose 90% of their daily players in one day (speculation, of course) and that revenue stream would dry up.

And then there are the clones like sedecordle and octordle and waddel (if you want to play using NFL player names, which sounds awful) and semantle, which is actually a lot of fun, but a horrible time-suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Anachronismatic View Post

The minute that happens, 100 duplicate sites emerge with similar names. I don't know if the NYT is headed in that direction, but my guess is that they get paid quite a bit for the information about who is playing Wordle, because that can get connected to the information the big information-sellers like Google and Facebook keep about you. They'd lose 90% of their daily players in one day (speculation, of course) and that revenue stream would dry up.

And then there are the clones like sedecordle and octordle and waddel (if you want to play using NFL player names, which sounds awful) and semantle, which is actually a lot of fun, but a horrible time-suck.
            Oh, I've never heard of this. That would be cool if they made one for tennis players!

I play wordle every so often, so for me its not a 'horrible time-suck'.

Comment

Semantle is the most annoying and most compelling of all of them. Today I got the secret word in 17 guesses! It usually takes me well over 100 guesses and it always makes me angry, but then I play again the next day.

Comment

I wish I could quit Semantle - there's a point after about 150 guesses that it ceases to be fun. But I got my wife into it, so now we sort-of compete. I will quit Wordle once the win "streak" ends. It's funny that it got into the news because of its word-choice yesterday (fetus). People were going on about how triggered they were and how offensive it was. It's just a word. Now if they added some notable racial slurs, I'd understand. But it seems that taking offense to anything and everything has become our national pastime. So they changed the word. Really tough one, too. Not for number of guesses, but it took me 15 minutes just to come up with a third guess that fit the first two.

I was considering dusting off my handheld-OS skills and writing my own. I'd call it "Girdle" and it would be just like Wordle, only without the letters A, I, L, O and T. And if you guessed certain "offensive" words, it would pop up a snarky message and threaten to report you to the government.

Comment

Originally posted by Anachronismatic View Post
                  I wish I could quit Semantle - there's a point after about 150 guesses that it ceases to be fun. But I got my wife into it, so now we sort-of compete. I will quit Wordle once the win "streak" ends. It's funny that it got into the news because of its word-choice yesterday (fetus). People were going on about how triggered they were and how offensive it was. It's just a word. Now if they added some notable racial slurs, I'd understand. But it seems that taking offense to anything and everything has become our national pastime. So they changed the word. Really tough one, too. Not for number of guesses, but it took me 15 minutes just to come up with a third guess that fit the first two.

I was considering dusting off my handheld-OS skills and writing my own. I'd call it "Girdle" and it would be just like Wordle, only without the letters A, I, L, O and T. And if you guessed certain "offensive" words, it would pop up a snarky message and threaten to report you to the government.
                  Yep, overdramatization seems to not be going away. What really irritates me is when they do that w/the weather. The weather doesn't need to be dramatic. Just report it. Then they wonder why people don't listen to evacuation orders. If they just stuck to the facts & stop trying to make it more exciting I think that would be best.

Comment

Has anyone played my game, Squaredle? It's another daily word game, but it's more like Wordtwist than Wordle.

Comment

How about sexaginta-quattuordle - https://64ordle.au/ - I've really been enjoying it for a few months. 64 wordles at once, with pretty colored squares and hearts to track your progress.

Edited to add... Oh dear, I have just stumbled upon https://jonesnxt.github.io/kilordle/ It has, you guessed it, 1000 5-letter words.
                      Last edited by CarpeLanam; 09-15-2022, 07:20 PM.

Comment

CarpeLanam - OMG

Edit some time later....

Okay, I tried both. The 64-wordle puzzle is actually fun! I wouldn't want to do it on my phone, though. My wide-screen computer monitor was perfect for seeing many simultaneous wordles in one scrolling view. It was kind of like working in air traffic control, monitoring many screens at once.

The 1,000-wordle puzzle was a bit much, though. For one thing, you never get to see the solved word! The individual puzzles just disappear from view as soon as they are solved, so it became a game of hitting every possible letter order and watching the unsolved-wordle count drop to zero. Not very satisfying.

Thanks for the links!
                        Last edited by LLapp; 09-16-2022, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Along with my daily Wordle, I've lately been enjoying Quordle.

Comment

Skeeter, thanks for that recommendation. I just tried Quordle -- nice!! The simultaneous solve is fun at the 4-puzzle level.

I also recommend Phrazle, where you solve multiple words in a single phrase, with the added clue that the phrase will always be some common English idiom.

Comment

Ooooh, thanks. I'll go take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Squaredle View Post
                                Has anyone played my game, Squaredle? It's another daily word game, but it's more like Wordtwist than Wordle.
                                No, I haven't tried it. You created it? How unique. How is it like Wordtwist?

Could you provide a link?

Comment

Working...
                                X