Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an area that explains how to play Crptogram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an area that explains how to play Crptogram?

I normally play WordTwist and I saw a question about Wordle of which I also play. Then I thought maybe Cryptograms were like wordle but instead of playing only 1 game I could play several. Unfortunately when I tried it out, nope, nothing like it. I tried to get a hint, it says I need to register for an account, when I try to register it says I'm already logged in. Uh huh.

I realize that I'm not allowed to use the hint method to figure it out. Okay. Is there another way I could learn this game?

If you click on the cryptogram banner, the page of how to solve them comes up, as well as a solving tutorial.

Comment

2cute,

I did cryptos in the newspaper for many years. I think it's pretty experiential. Takes time to catch on. I'm not much interested in how fast I can solve, like many on this site. I just like the process. My solve rate is in the low 90%'s.

There is a lot of fun on this site making comments about a quote. The quote has to be solved before comments are allowed. The social aspect here is truly exceptional. And I don't recall ever seeing a troll. That's unusual for the fetid cesspool of the interwebs.

As for the speed demons, I remain a skeptic. When I see records at five seconds or less ... well ... there are no doubt gifted folks, but not that many. It's been explained to me that the speeders are on here so much that they recognize the quotes from having them before, and that is why they are so fast at solving. But then, I've always been a skeptic.

Comment

2cute,
        noteinstein here, welcome to cryptograms, I am also new to this site but I did notice a couple things, if you register an account on any puzzle baron game you are already registered to play any puzzle baron game, you can play any game without having to log in again
        If you go to settings and click on it you will be able to change the way you compete, go to the section that asks if you want to participate in competition, click no, bottom of page click on save changes and you should be able to play in non compete and you will be able to get hints, or don't log in and you can play as guest and get hints if needed, but what do I know, I'm noteinstein

​​​

Comment

I like to play some of PuzzleBaron's other games, Word Wipe, Daily Solitaire, and Klondike Solitaire, but my fave is Cryptograms.

Comment

Originally posted by Deanna48 View Post
            If you click on the cryptogram banner, the page of how to solve them comes up, as well as a solving tutorial.
            Where do you find this Deanna48? I read the main page, wasn't helpful, something about deciphering coded messages, okay, but that's only a description.

Is it just a guessing what the quote could be? I mean it could be anything.

Like in wordtwist for example, its a box of letters. You find words by connecting the letters. Each letter can only be used once in a single word. If you type a word that doesn't exist, you'll hear a sound & that guess won't be added to the list of found words. In a 4x4 puzzle box, the words must be 3 letters long to be included. In a 5x5 puzzle box, the words must be 4 letters long to be included.

I need something like this to get me started.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
              I like to play some of PuzzleBaron's other games, Word Wipe, Daily Solitaire, and Klondike Solitaire, but my fave is Cryptograms.
              Yes, I too play in the other section of PuzzleBaron as well. Although in that section you do need to re-sign-in or register as it doesn't recognize my username or avatar from this section (they use illustrations as avatars, you can't upload your own image like you can on this side).

In that section I play 8 & 9 ball, Mahjongg Candy, Arkadium's Bubble Shooter, Spider Solitaire, Jewel & Sweet Shuffle & Daily Word Search.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyTee View Post
                2cute,

I did cryptos in the newspaper for many years. I think it's pretty experiential. Takes time to catch on. I'm not much interested in how fast I can solve, like many on this site. I just like the process. My solve rate is in the low 90%'s.

There is a lot of fun on this site making comments about a quote. The quote has to be solved before comments are allowed. The social aspect here is truly exceptional. And I don't recall ever seeing a troll. That's unusual for the fetid cesspool of the interwebs.

As for the speed demons, I remain a skeptic. When I see records at five seconds or less ... well ... there are no doubt gifted folks, but not that many. It's been explained to me that the speeders are on here so much that they recognize the quotes from having them before, and that is why they are so fast at solving. But then, I've always been a skeptic.
                Speed isn't as important to me as figuring out how to solve the puzzle.

Comment

2cute: Each letter represents a different letter of the alphabet. For example, here is a very easy beginning to a cryptogram:
                  mktet pw vu wzqk mkpro bw

the solution is "there is no such thing as". The "m"s all stand for "t", the "k"s for "h", the "t"s for e, etc. The code is a simple letter replacement.

We look for common words and letter combinations to solve these. The following is a youtube link with a tutorial.

Comment

And the nice thing about this site is that the letters autofill, so you don't have to individually fill them in, like in the tutorial I included.

Comment

And there's other tutorials on youtube as well! I just grabbed one.

Comment

Cute little baby, Deanna48. Yours?

Comment

My first grandbaby!! Her name is Releigh.

Comment

Oops..Ryleigh

Comment

First grandbaby. Congratulations.

Comment

Working...
                              X