No announcement yet.

I don't understand this quote at all...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't understand this quote at all...

I don't get it... what the heck does this mean?

(it had 10 out of 10 stars under 'confusing')

"Scratch a Yale man with both hands and you'll be lucky to find a coast-guard. Usually you find nothing at all. "

Mind Boggling

LIGHTPIE, it becomes even more confusing. The larger quote (attributed to F Scott Fitzgerald) reads: "But scratch a Yale man with both hands and you'll be lucky to find a coast-guard. Usually you find nothing at all. Or else eleven bought iron men and 3,000 ninnies. God preserve you from that vacuum factory."

Here's another surreal quote I learned in childhood that I don't really understand: "Stuck a feather in his hat and called it macaroni."

Comment

actually, that one I can explain.

In whole, this quote is part of 'Yankee Doodle' which was written by the British during the revolutionary war. 'Yankee' meaning the colonists, and 'doodle' as an old phrase meaning 'foolish' or 'dumb'

Now, 'macaroni' is an old phrase meaning 'stylish' or 'trendy'

The intention is to say that he was foolishly stating that the feather he stuck in his hat was stylish.

Comment

Yale quote

Personal opinion only, but I'd interpret that quote as basically saying that Yale guys are idiots and without substance.

Comment

lol, I only understand that it has something to do with Yale... lol.

It's like just something random... like how it's always been my dream to grow up, become famous, and say 'all that glitters is not 7, for the 8 is more than an angry procupine'

Comment

Enigma Variations

'all that glitters is not 7, for the 8 is more than an angry procupine'

LIGHTPIE, you think F Scott Fitzgerald quotes are ambiguous!?!

Comment

ummm... I dunno...

What does ambiguous mean again? (^:

...I'm serious

Comment

Ambiguity

Enigmatic, perplexing, puzzling.

Or refer to this link:
                The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

Comment

lol, thank you for explaining that.

And no, I don't think that his quotes are ambiguous... just that one...

(P.S. don't you think that my quote would be fun to do in a cryptogram?)

Comment

Working...
                  X