• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poetry

does anyone enjoy charles bukowski?

amy lowell?

I think too much, and enjoy it.

people who need people

Wanda: I can't stand people, I hate them.
    Henry: Oh yeah?
    Wanda: Do you hate them?
    Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.

Great film!

Comment

Wasn't that Barfly? I also love that film. It's one of the last where Micky Rourke looked like himself.

Comment

Natch

Laura, of course that's Barfly, but I'm hoping you also realize that Henry Chinaski (Mickey Rourke's character) is the alter ego of author and poet Charles Bukowski, and that the film is loosely based on the author's life. Here's another great example of his work:

"It was true that I didn't have much ambition, but there ought to be a place for people without ambition, I mean a better place than the one usually reserved. How in the hell could a man enjoy being awakened at 6:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, shit, piss, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so?"
        —Factotum, 1975

Comment

nice quote

bansaisequoia,

That quote SO sums up the way I feel about working most of the time. I hate getting up to an alarm clock, rushing to get in on time, and then being underpaid for my efforts. Thanks for posting it - it made me smile.

Don't know those authors or the film mentioned. I'll have to look into them. My favorite poets were always Robert Frost and Shel Silverstein (what can I say - he appeals to my sense of the whimsical and the ridiculous - I will admit to a slightly strange sense of humor).

Comment

Guess Who

Look who now has a quote on cryptograms.org:

"I was no petty thief, I wanted the world or nothing."
            — Charles Bukowski

Thanks for adding him, Steven!

Comment

Originally posted by Laura View Post
              Wasn't that Barfly? I also love that film. It's one of the last where Micky Rourke looked like himself.
              I saw a trailer last weekend for a movie in which Mickey palys a pro wrestler. He looks more like himself than he ever did before, only with long blond hair.

Comment

Who'da Thunk

Thanks for the info, Roac, Son of Carc. I definitely want to see this film when it is released. Mickey Rourke definitely looks beefier than when he portrayed Bukowski's Henry Chinaski. He looks like he hired a personal trainer and started consuming large amounts of protein supplements from the GNC. Or maybe it was just eggs in the blender like Rocky.

Comment

Working...
                X