What patterns to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What patterns to look for?

Hey! I'm fairly new to cryptograms (I was introduced to this website by a friend at the start of the month) and suffice to say it's become a bit of an addiction. I don't do this for practice for SciOly or anything; it's just a hobby. But my competitive self sees those crazy short times on the leaderboards... and wants to get there! My solve times are slow, though, and I tend to give up if there isn't the word "the", "a", or "i" in the puzzle (which means my solve percentage is about 40%... oops). Anyway, the point is, I'm looking for some tips as to what other patterns I can look for in puzzles, especially short puzzles (with long words), that would make my life a lot easier. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I can usually find patterns like "-tion", "-ing" and other things like that once I get a good start... it's just starting that's the issue.

the list is long and I'm sure I would miss a lot, plus there's lots I don't know. Make mental notes about which words come up a lot, as well as which words have the same pattern given certain letters (ex. always and afraid when u have the A in place), then just do a bunch of cryptograms and you'll learn them! Anyways here's a (very incomplete bc I'm coming up with them right now) quick list of common words
    the/one/are, always/afraid, against, do you, do not, he who, no one, yourself/oneself/herself/himself/itself, common sense, the fact that, that, then/y, this, thus, thou, than, when, what, whom, civilization, universe, science, someone, anyone, anything/something/everything, everybody, everyone/exercise, it is, if it, here/were/mere, away, even, ever, eyes, every, total, again, a bank is a place that, people, nothing/perhaps, good / poor, trust/treat, the best way, other(s), my father, my mother, book, and, but, or, whereas/wherein, yet/let, there/these, measure, pleasure, limit/never/state/honor, which, mind, find, did you, whatever, whenever, wherever, ok you get the point but pretty much every word I guess...
    I'm not sure if this is quite what you were looking for, but hope it's helpful

Comment

oh words with apostrophes are good for starting too
      can't, don't, won't, isn't, haven't, didn't, wouldn't, couldn't, shouldn't, doesn't, weren't
      anything + 's (one's)

Comment

Ravenclaws, here are links to three forum threads that focus on distinctive letter patterns:

Comment

ravenclaws62442 a few that I find a bit are "Happiness" and "Opportunity" and "Difference" Good luck...

Comment

I thinks you can find more useful information here https://forum.puzzlebaron.com/forum/...erns#post20526

Comment

Many times guessing helps, even if it is wrong, because it so happens that part of the guess is correct, and there will be other words which allow you to correct the wrong part of the guess.

Comment

excellence, experience, usually/fifteen, eventually, progress, neatness, football, afternoon, wherever, whenever, there, these, never, level, state, unless, coffee, individual, advantage, ...,

Comment

possibilities, civilization, difference between, indifference, no one, do not, he who, rare, none, away, themselves, football, baseball, neatness, actually, progress, everyone, exercise,
                  indeed, coffee, committee, success, succeed, successful.

Comment

remember that, sometimes, eventually, experience, excellence, tyranny, "as (soon, far, much) as" , or "to (try, ...) to", one of the, the truth, sense of ..., we cannot, no matter

Comment

Remember that, sometimes, eventually, experience, excellence and the truth will triumph over tyranny, no matter if we cannot sense it as much as we want to.

Comment

Working...
                      X