No announcement yet.

Dude's definitely cheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no doubt that the consistently fast players here are legit. This coming from a two-finger typist who has to keep looking at the keyboard. But programmatically deciding whether a single puzzle solve time is legit? No way possible. However, looking at 10-20 puzzles in a row should do it. Even those who can hit 2-3 sec occasionally can't do it on every puzzle, whereas a bot could.

Comment

does anyone know how times are rounded?

Comment

n-j-b, what a good question. So you're thinking a player who solves in 1.4 seconds (or maybe even 1.9 seconds) might still register a 1-second solve? Given how the scoring works, my guess is that any fraction of a second -- even 1/10 of a second -- rounds up to the next whole number. Which would also mean that if a computer program is solving it in under 1 second, the solve time would still register as 1 second.

That's just a guess, though.

Comment

hmm yeah that makes sense, thanks! Then I don't think 1 second is possible...

Comment

Ha!! Only someone who could actually solve a cryptogram in 2 seconds would say that with a straight face.

Comment

True, LLapp, LOL! I myself had to play for quite a while before I could believe any of the single digit times. Not that I thought people were cheating, necessarily, it was just a question of... how on Earth? But even I had a 7 second time once.

Comment

As far as 1 sec solve times go - the truth is out there.

Comment

Working...
                X