RIP abra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP abra

One of our most beloved players has passed away. It is heartbreaking. You will be sorely missed, abra. https://www.tributearchive.com/obitu...il-marie-henry

Oh, no! Abra is one of my favorite cryptographers and always seemed like a wonderful person.

Comment

Ahh, that's saddening news. Her comments on cryptograms have always been insightful and enjoyable to read. She will be missed!

Comment

RIP. Sad news

Comment

I'm going to miss abra very much. I often felt she was a kindred spirit. Rest in peace, abra!

Comment

I loved abra's comments in the puzzles. She was open and honest, with an almost childlike innocence. I felt I knew her. We will miss you, abra.

Comment

I am so sad that we've lost Gail, aka Abra, from this community of crypto-solvers. In our countless notes-in-a-bottle conversations, she has been a kind, supportive, wise, and fair-minded human being -- really human, even in this virtual place -- and she had a sweet instinct for silliness. I've always been happy to see her magician avatar in the "Who's Online" board in the middle of the night. It was the perfect avatar for her.

Over my years of playing here, I've noticed that Abra and I were of the same mind when it came to nearly everything, from child-rearing philosophy to all kinds of personal values, to our shared reactions to many quote authors (especially Lord Byron, or, as Abra called him, George). So I came to feel a warm kinship with her -- even though, when it came to politics, we disagreed strongly about every single issue. And this fact, that we were thoroughly divided on politics and yet could share a deeper kinship, gives me hope for humanity.

Abra once said, in response to a quote about forgettable people who leave no impression in the world, that she liked to think of herself as one of those people, and that she would no doubt pass from this world quietly and unnoticed by all except her close family and a few friends. Well, it's just not true. She is missed dearly by hundreds of people she's never even met. She has left a lasting impression.

Rest in peace, Abra. May your memory be for a blessing.

Lisa aka LLapp

Comment

I didn't know abra well, but I've solved almost 6500 puzzles on here. Almost every quote had one of her comments, and they always made me smile. Thank you, abra--you will be missed, and I'm sorry to see you go.

Comment

it is always sad to lose one of our fellow crypto friends. Abra will be missed.

Comment

This is definitely sad news. I considered her a friend. Even though I enjoy hearing from a lot of people in this site, Abra was someone I particularly was glad to converse with in our disjointed sort of way through comments on solved puzzles, and she was kind to me. It feels strange when we know that no new comments will ever be left by someone we love. Thank you for sharing her obituary, Eureka.

Comment

I, too, always enjoyed abra's comments and felt like I knew her through them. She had a very distinctive voice and style and will be remembered fondly. I worry, though, about her having to spend the rest of eternity among the "creepy-crawlies". I know she didn't like them at all.

Comment

I've enjoyed reading abra's comments too. She will be missed. Rest in peace, abra

Comment

I will remember abra as being a very kind, compassionate person who was always gracious in her comments here. I enjoyed her sense of humor, as well as her honesty and willingness to stand up for her own beliefs, though always in a well-mannered way. I will miss her!!!

Comment

This is Gail's son. The outpour of love for my mother from people she never met in person has been overwhelming. On Facebook, but this community in particular meant a lot to her.

I wrote a really long message - but if you want to know more about what happened, find me on Facebook or ask around here how to find me and I can tell you.

I want to thank everybody for the show of love. It means a lot to my dad too. Dad is doing OK, but this was very, very, sudden, and they shared a bed for almost 55 years. There's just never a good time for this to happen.

I want to thank Eureka for telling the community here. She's explained to me how to read all of the comments, but I may save that for sometime I want to read something she wrote.

I want to thank Fudi for recognizng the serious issue with creepy crawlies. The part of her will be committed to Earth is $8 worth of mostly carbon. It could be up to $12 now. Either way, I hope she's having a good laugh about that.

I'd like to thank LLapp for confirming what I have suspected since Monday morning, that Mom would think that there were only 12 people who cared she was gone. This was Mom. But it wasn't true. I'm even shocked. Also saying the fact they got along so well but not about politics, but that gave her hope for the future. It does me too. For people. Politicians, I don't know.

If my mom knew anything personal about you, your problems, your hopes, if your kids got over their cold, or how the job interview went - she prayed for you that morning.

If I didn't mention you by name, seriously, still thank you. My mom loved this place. She loved games, but she also was trying to make sure her mind stayed sharp as she aged.

--Not signing my name because there's probably enough here to steal my identity, and i'll delete it eventually for that reason

Comment

Thanks for coming here to speak to us, Gail's son. As we try to help you deal with your grief, you are helping us to deal with ours. Your mom was such a special person. She will live on in our memories and through her comments here.

Comment

Working...
                              X