• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The adjective is the banana peel of the parts of speech."
    — Clifton Fadiman

Eureka
    November 13, 2018, 1:26 pm
    I had objective instead of adjective. Banana is hard to get with o's.
    Altoid701
    February 2, 2019, 8:43 am
    Two quotes in a row about parts of speech. Hmm...
    montyb
    February 20, 2019, 9:18 am
    You know, this makes sense in the light of the preponderance of adjectives Trump uses.
    pickleball
    March 28, 2020, 10:20 am
    should of learn that in school, but makes it easier to remember
    LLapp
    April 7, 2020, 2:09 am
    Argh. Should have, not should of. I'm sorry, really. I should just go to bed.
    hrossa
    August 10, 2020, 9:18 pm
    Smooth yellow slippy fruity spotted...no, on't like spotted. Let it get that first spot and it's no longer perfectly appetizing..
    abra
    April 19, 2021, 8:32 pm
    Oh, look bunnies.
    abra
    October 13, 2021, 9:59 pm
    I think there's times when most of us folks speak colloquially. Not worth makin' summin feel bad about.

Comment

"What's so remarkable about Love at first sight? It's when people have been looking at each other for years that it becomes remarkable. "
      — Unattributed

abra
      May 20, 2018, 6:17 pm
      We may have done this. I met my husband when I was a sophomore in HS. Over the years, i set him up with several of my friends, and he set me up with a couple of his. One day when we were all ''grown up''. We began to date each other seriously. This week, will be our 50th wedding anniversary.

Comment

"Children can write poetry and then, unless they're poets, they stop when they reach puberty."* — Dennis Potter

abra
        October 25, 2021, 2:09 am
        I think I agree. I no little about poetry, but this sounds right to me. My daughter-in-law is a wonderful poet. I understand about half of what she writes, but when I find something she writes that I think is wonderful and share it on FB, everyone agrees.

abra
        July 16, 2022, 2:45 am
        OMgosh * know not no.

*Actually, that last "they" is missing from the quote when you solve it. Someday that typo will be fixed in the puzzles as well as in this forum.

Comment

Classic abra:

"Thank Heaven, the sun has gone in, and I don't have to go out and enjoy it. "
          — Logan Pearsall Smith

abra
          August 4, 2016, 7:48 am
          There are bugs out there.

Comment

"No matter how far you have gone on a wrong road, turn back. "
            — Proverb

abra
            April 8, 2017, 6:11 pm
            I should have done this once when we lived in CA. I walked to a supermarket with my 3 year old son. I decided to take a short cut home. It was like 120 degrees with no shade. I knew I had made a mistake, but I was heading in the right direction, so I kept going. Of course I had to pick him up and carry him, and we walked, and walked. Finally a lady offered us a ride, and I who had been told all my life not to do so took a ride with a stranger. When we got home, he asked for water. I gave him a glass and the kid who hadn't wet himself since he was 1 1/2 drank and peed on the kitchen floor. I drank and burst into tears. By all means, turn back.

Comment

The "EEEK" thread, starring Abra and many others....

"Women are afraid of mice and of murder, and of very little in between." — Mignon McLaughlin

abra
              June 21, 2014, 8:42 am
              Actually, quite a few things in between.

wvwoman
              December 25, 2014, 5:27 am
              oh, come on, don't ruin the "women are strong" quote!!

LLapp
              January 2, 2015, 3:01 pm
              Eeeeeeeek!

montyb
              March 15, 2015, 3:36 pm
              Alphabetically, there is relatively little between mice and murder.

opallady
              May 4, 2015, 11:06 am
              I'm not afraid of mice, although I'd rather they stay out of my house.

LLapp
              October 19, 2015, 5:04 pm
              First time I ever saw a mouse in my home: I was blithely chatting on the phone with a friend when a tiny gray fur thing with big ears scurried across the dining room floor and under a closet door, I let out an "EEEK" and suddenly noticed I was standing on a chair. My friend on the phone said calmly, "Mouse?"

Roxanne
              December 7, 2015, 11:32 am
              Murdering mice, though -- lemme at 'em!!!

Hob
              June 7, 2016, 10:00 am
              Why mice? Now, rats...

marnita
              July 29, 2016, 12:02 pm
              I have nothing against mice. Cockroaches, on the other hand . . . .

MamaB
              January 12, 2017, 7:37 am
              I have 3 dogs and 4 cats. I'm not afraid of mice - except for the ones that are past their due dates.

kb83
              May 17, 2017, 4:14 am
              mosquitoes, mold, morgues, millionaires, ...

abra
              September 13, 2017, 6:54 pm
              Why is it that we say "eek" when we see a mouse? It seems like we save it just for mice, and apparently, we use it universally. Like it comes rippling up without thinking about it.

lertsek
              March 26, 2018, 4:09 pm
              Good point abra. Maybe cartoons drilled it into us.

KSSprague
              September 4, 2018, 3:33 pm
              I'm one of those that say eeek and jump up on the furniture. They just really creep me out.

LLapp
              November 27, 2018, 10:22 pm
              Abra - I know, right?! That first time, I didn't even realize I had jumped on the furniture. After my friend said "Mouse?" I said "How did you know?" She said, "Because that was a classic mouse eek! Are you standing on a chair?" Only then did I look down and see the chair under my feet. So yeah, this response must come from deep within the Olive Oyl unconscious mind.

Eureka
              July 6, 2019, 11:27 am
              I was babysitting at an old farmhouse, sitting in the kitchen quietly doing my homework, when a very large rat crawled out from under a cupboard door. I let out more than an "eek" but also found myself standing on my chair. The family came home to me holding a large roasting pan lid in my hand, staring at the spot where the rat had disappeared. Thank goodness it did not reappear because I am sure things would not have gone well for me.

blueladyblue
              August 28, 2019, 3:21 pm
              Love these rodent comments. First time I saw a mouse was when my dad was chasing after one in the living room with a broom. This particular little critter was a very sprite, very feisty little guy. My sisters and I were laughing our heads off, but it really got good when the mouse ran under our dad's trouser and up his leg. To this day I am not afraid of mice, and actually I think they're kinda cute.

abra
              May 21, 2020, 2:49 am
              I saw my mom take off her shoe and nail a mouse at ten feet on two different occasions many years apart. Never heard her say ''EEEK'' though.

Elephino
              February 25, 2021, 10:15 pm
              I'm going to start a podcast called "My Favorite Mice"

bigdave
              March 17, 2021, 7:12 pm
              For my wife, it's spiders. Definitely spiders.

abra
              December 22, 2021, 1:33 am
              Oh, spiders too, bigdave. They just don't make me say EEK!!. If they're large enough or close enough, they might make me scream.

Comment

"A first-rate soup is more creative than a second-rate painting." — Abraham Maslow

abra
                November 30, 2021, 1:08 am
                Andy Warhol must have misunderstood.

Comment

Awesome! Best smile of my day.

Comment

"The best mannered people make the most absurd lovers." — Denis Diderot

LLapp
                    November 11, 2018, 5:56 pm
                    How did he determine this? Did he get a grant?

Synonymous
                    February 24, 2020, 3:44 pm
                    Of course, peeping Tom.

abra
                    August 5, 2021, 3:00 am
                    He had a lab coat and a clipboard and no one ever asked what he was doing there.

Comment

"The world is not respectable; it is mortal, tormented, confused, deluded forever; but it is shot through with beauty, with love, with glints of courage and laughter."
                      — George Santayana
                      Comments on this Puzzle:

LLapp
                      September 7, 2015, 6:28 pm
                      So what the hell, let's stick around.
                      BriddlesBob
                      August 6, 2016, 7:24 am
                      Go ahead, LLapp, try it!
                      llapp
                      March 6, 2019, 9:59 pm
                      Still here.
                      Eureka
                      March 18, 2019, 2:44 pm
                      Still here, but you've lost your capitals.
                      abra
                      May 15, 2020, 10:11 pm
                      You've shrunk. You'll have to get higher stools for you kitchen.
                      jbb33054
                      September 12, 2021, 6:39 am
                      LLapp
                      October 12, 2021, 5:14 am
                      Phew, got my capitals back.
                      hrossa
                      October 8, 2022, 3:04 pm
                      abra and hrossa don't have capitals and right now no punctuation reminds me of e e cummings

ADD YOUR COMMENTS:

Comment

Originally posted by Synonymous View Post
                        abra
                        May 15, 2020, 10:11 pm
                        You've shrunk. You'll have to get higher stools for you kitchen.
                        See? That's Abra (or abra to be case-correct). She remembered that I'm short and that I need stools in my kitchen so I can reach shelves and work at the sink. She appreciated everyone here and remembered specific things about each of us, like old friends do. And chances are that we may have disagreed about some political thing on some other quote only minutes before she got to this one, and still she was warm and friendly.

Comment

"The first forty years of life give us the text; the next thirty supply the commentary on it. " — Arthur Schopenhauer

maradnu
                          September 20, 2013, 11:58 am
                          I'm past forty, but still writing the text.

Fudi
                          August 26, 2019, 2:26 pm
                          I hate texting. I'm sort of long-winded. No way I could get that first 40 years into a mere 160 characters.

abra
                          November 25, 2021, 2:33 am
                          I hate texting. I text one character at a time with my forefinger. I only like to text with my grandsons. They're fun to talk to, and they're always glad to hear from me.

LLapp
                          January 20, 2022, 1:50 am
                          I text with my pinky because it fits the tiny phone keyboard more easily.

Comment

"Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some real satisfaction, that day is a loss." — Dwight Eisenhower

abra
                            August 3, 2019, 1:20 am
                            Because I am a person who believes in prayer, I do spend some time at the end of the day giving thanks. Most days it's pretty easy to find things to be thankful for. Things that were fun, things that brought joy. I'm always thankful for my family and for my home, even on sad days.

Comment

(I hope abra's family continues to enjoy her bbq sauce and gravy for generations to come.)

"Wisdom is perishable. Unlike information or knowledge, it cannot be stored in a computer or recorded in a book. It expires with each passing generation." — Sid Taylor

SippyGurl
                              February 16, 2017, 9:01 pm
                              all those grandmas who just wouldn't give up the missing ingredient(s) in their recipes...

NotTooOld
                              July 5, 2017, 1:19 am
                              My grandma taught me how to make her meatloaf, but one of the ingredients was Aunt Lily's chili sauce and Aunt Lily didn't show me how to make that.

abra
                              September 1, 2017, 2:27 pm
                              My daughter-in-law, loves my bbq sauce, and my gravy. Her grandmother told her I would leave something out of the recipe. I showed her how to make both. I don't have any prize winners with secret ingredients. If I did, I wouldn't want them to die with me.

badbob
                              November 20, 2018, 10:25 pm
                              how did we get from wisdom to recipes?

LLapp
                              July 9, 2019, 4:00 am
                              Every great recipe is packed with wisdom, that's how.

Comment

(Some quotes were just made for abra.)

"I don't care how small or big they are, insects freak me out." — Alexander Wang

abra
                                June 21, 2020, 6:09 pm
                                I'm with you Mr. Wang.

abra
                                September 26, 2021, 2:05 am
                                I think I promised in a comment somewhere, that I would stop talking about creepy crawlies. I guess I kind of like lady bugs, the old kind, not the new ones that bite. Of course I like butterflies. That's all I can think of.

Comment

Working...
                                X