No announcement yet.

Inspired Poetry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"You can get along very well in this world by simply coming up with a quantity of reasonably valid statements." — B. F. Skinner (March 20, 1904 – August 18, 1990), an American psychologist, author, inventor, social philosopher, and poet.

kb83
    January 7, 2022, 1:41 pm
    A rat owned by one B. F. Skinner, Had to type poems for his dinner. But he had a hard time, Finding rat words that rhyme, And so he got thinner and thinner.​

Comment

Originally posted by LLapp View Post
      "All changes are more or less tinged with melancholy, for what we are leaving behind is part of ourselves." — Amelia Edith Huddleston Barr

kb83
      January 2, 2019, 8:19 am
      Amelia Edith Huddleston Barr Went for a drive in a shiny white car, ...

letfreedomring
      September 16, 2019, 3:03 pm
      to get to the neighborhood deli. She didn't go in, and continued her spin, going home with her still empty belly.
      Okay, how about (with letfreedomring's permission):

Amelia drove to the deli
      But outside she found it too smelly,
      She didn't go in,
      But continued her spin,
      Going home with her still empty belly.

Comment

"Perhaps the strangest thing of all is the marvel that mathematics should be possible to a race akin to the apes."
        — Eric T. Bell​

kb83
        April 9, 2018, 10:29 am
        A brilliant chimpanzee named Walaji Knew well algebraic topology He made a fine model Of a plant-based Klein bottle Then ate it without an apology.​

Comment

It's now in the midden. Joking aside, he's lucky he didn't wind up inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Eureka View Post
            "Hollywood is not suited for me, and I am not suited for it." — Dr. Seuss

LLapp
            September 18, 2019, 5:48 pm
            I will not write for Hollywood, I would not live there if I could. I do not care for movie backlots, dog-eat-dog, or mega-jackpots.
            Nice, LLapp, you channeled him-- that's what he should have said.

Comment

Thanks, kb83, it did feel like channeling!

Comment

"Accent is the soul of language - it gives to it both feeling and truth."
                — Jean Jacques Rousseau​

kb83
                April 1, 2022, 9:38 am
                A philosopher named Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Never just guessed, he just knew so, That with his accent They knew what he meant, And so he urged others to do so.​

Comment

"Success is a tale of obstacles overcome, and for every obstacle overcome, an excuse not used."
                  — Robert Brault​

kb83
                  February 9, 2018, 3:07 am
                  A babbling blogger named Brault, Was precious and trite to a fault. What he said was unneeded, And readers all pleaded, Won't you please bring this stuff to a hault?​

I love this one, LOL!!

Comment

"This communicating of a man's self to his friend works two contrary effects, for it redoubles joys, and cuts griefs in half." — Aristotle

darkyr
                    July 13, 2016, 3:29 am
                    When in need, talk to yourself. It will get you halfway there.

kb83
                    July 6, 2017, 4:10 am
                    It's called degriefing.

pickleball
                    March 24, 2019, 9:17 pm
                    i ve been talking to myself for years with no end in sight

LLapp
                    November 28, 2019, 9:44 pm
                    I think we are all self-talkers on this site. I post this comment knowing full well that nobody might read it for years, and that's fine.

gracefulghost
                    December 19, 2021, 9:52 am
                    LLapp, I've only been posting for like 4 months, and apparently, you're right, I've only gotten one response, and that was from someone who didn't like what I said about a third party.

Trima
                    November 26, 2022, 9:02 pm
                    So nice to meet you, Gracefulghost, It's remiss of us to leave you troubled, By careful reading of what you post, May griefs be halved, and our joys doubled.

Comment

A string of fun comments, ending in a kb83 limerick:

"What is man's chief enemy? Each man is his own." — Anacharsis Cloots

Allen
                      May 2, 2013, 11:33 am
                      Which Anacharsis Cloots was this?

puzzleme
                      August 6, 2014, 7:02 pm
                      An 18th century Prussian nobleman, according to Wiki.

tgreen517
                      January 16, 2015, 4:50 pm
                      I'd rather be my own chef enemy.

jimdgar
                      September 1, 2016, 9:35 am
                      That's why I never win; I'm too evenly matched.

kb83
                      March 13, 2020, 3:35 pm
                      Sometimes it is one's name.

puffybob
                      April 13, 2020, 12:03 am
                      I thought he was one of the kids from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

kb83
                      May 23, 2022, 1:21 pm
                      A young fellow named Anacharsis, Kept injuring his metatarsus, He found some new shoes, With shouts and "Woo- hoo"s (For him it was quite a catharsis.)

Comment

"Men, having often abandoned what was visible for the sake of what was uncertain, have not got what they expected, and have lost what they had." — Demetrius Phalereus​

kb83
                        December 18, 2023, 12:02 pm
                        An ancient Greek author Phalereus, Had wisdom for those who were serious, You should not aband- on a bird in the hand, To go for a vision delirious.​

Comment

(You are brilliantly funny, kb83. For easier reading, I have put the comment before the quote.)

kb83
                          July 25, 2017, 10:04 am
                          There must be a name for this meter. It sounds like the 3rd, 4th, and 5th line of a limerick. How about: He got a degree from Loyola, But wished he could own a Corolla,​

"If wishes and buts were clusters of nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." — Strangers with Candy

Comment

I love this one, added a carriage return for easier reading.

"Be thou the first true merit to befriend, his praise is lost who stays till all commend."
                            — Alexander Pope

ernests
                            August 19, 2020, 4:04 am
                            Through twisted syntax and rhymes forc’d we grope
                            And thus a poet true is Alex Pope​
                            Last edited by kb83; 04-07-2024, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X