which quote do you see most often?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which quote do you see most often?

For some reason I seem to see one quote more often than any other.

"All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother."

-Abraham Lincoln

I seem to see it quite often. Anyone else have a quote that they find popping up a lot? Just curious.

Kat:

I have a few that come up quite often. They're usually Bill Cosby or Bob Hope quotes, but I have seen the Abraham Lincoln quote you mentioned (several times).

Here's one of the Bob Hope quotes:
    Middle age is when your age starts to show around your middle.

This is a Bill Cosby quote I've seen a lot:
    Parents are not interested in justice. They're only interested in peace and quiet.

About a week or so ago I had one (and I can't remember which one it was) that came up twice out of three puzzles. I solved it, solved the next one, and then got the first one again.

Comment

Bob Hope, yes. Particularly the one about a bank being a place that will lend you money if you can prove you don't need it. That one comes up so often that something other than randomness must be involved.

I have noticed that each new puzzle tends to be related in some way to the one before it. My hypothesis is that the puzzles are stored in such a way that each is linked to several others with which it has something in common, and the choice is not random but proceeds along those links. Anybody here familiar with database architecture?

Comment

That's very interesting, I've noticed it as well. A particular word (or group of words) will be in several consecutive cryptograms. What I had speculated was the order of input, like looking up quotes based on some theme and adding them to the database that way.

I know just a little about databases--but can only think of something simple like a query that would link records based on certain criteria (like a theme or a word). Your idea makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Similarly seen

I also notice that the puzzles have something similar from one to the next and it seems to be based on one word. Last night, I had one with the word 'attempt' and the next one had the word 'attempt' in it too.

My own personal belief is that the way the program chooses the enxt puzzle to load is based on words and that the individual cryptos are not necessarily associated with a number. I could be totally wrong

Diane - who once worked as both a respiratory therapist and a database programmer (at the same time) before she got the bug to teach

Comment

yup

I've noticed the common theme as well.

I actually just got the same Samuel Johnson quote twice in a row. And that's why I now have the record solve time. Lol!

Comment

common theme

I've just solved two puzzles, both started with "The world"...

Comment

Working...
              X