How many puzzles are there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many puzzles are there?

I'm sure this has been asked before but does anyone have any idea about how many quotes there are on this site?

The page says more than 50k, and more are added every few years I think. If someone has been around for a while they might know how many have been added since they were here, and they might be able to give you an more exact answer.

Comment

This from the login page: Solve More than 50,000 Cryptograms
      If you love to solve cryptograms, you've come to the right place! We've got thousands and thousands of unique cryptograms ready and waiting to be solved. Feel free to play casually as a guest, or, if you're a more competitive sort, register a free account and be automatically entered in each of our monthly cryptograms competitions!

Comment

If one wanted to estimate the number of quotes, and one could assume that they are drawn at random for each download, then you could store the first (or next) 100 quotes that you encounter, and then you look for the occurrence of one of these 100 in the successive quotes you solve. Or more to the point, you look at the rate at which these recur. Let's suppose you get one of these 100 quotes in every 500 of the subsequent quotes you solve, on average. Then your estimate would be based on equating 100/ N = 1/ 500, and you would get N = 50000. This is known as the method of Capture/recapture, and is used in estimating wildlife populations. What you do is you capture a bunch of animals (these are the 100 quotes), and you label them with a ring on their limb. Then you go out later and capture a new batch of animals, and you observe what proportion of them are labeled. You assume that the new animals you capture (quotes you solve) are a random sample of all of the animals (quotes). Or you ask the administrator?

Comment

If you look at the records section, you can see that a lot of the records are being set in the 80,000-90,000 range because its way easier to set records on new puzzles. In fact, a user name TPITTMAN44 recently set a 275 second record on puzzle #87976. From that, I'm guessing there are around 90,000 but if not, it's definitely in the upper 80,000s.

Comment

Interesting thought processes, all! Watermelondestroyer, I never noticed the puzzles had numbers. I'd guess you're on the right track.

Comment

There are currently 66,154 unique cryptograms on the site.
              If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Thank you, Admin. I assume you retire some cryptos from time to time, but everyone enjoys new ones.

Comment

Working...
                X