Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Feature - Add a Comment

Hi folks -

A number of you have been asking for a more comprehensive feedback system for each puzzle, so tonight we've added an "Add your comments" box to the results page after every successfully solved cryptogram. Here you can comment on the quote - either to share your thoughts on the quote itself, give a little victory cheer if you've solved a particularly vexing puzzle, make some helpful comments on a quote that may have a typo or error in it, or really whatever you like (um, within boundaries of course...)

I will be monitoring these comments and will do my best to remove any inappropriate ones - and if that becomes a big problem I will make it so that only registered users can make comments. We'll see. But in the meantime, have fun with it! All approved comments will appear at the very bottom of the results page for each puzzle.

Cheers -

Stephen

New feature

Thanks for adding that. I always thought of it more as a way to give feedback to you, than to other users, but it works either way.

Any idea when we might also see the suggested change where we do not go to an error screen when we leave a letter blank - as it used to be. The new way slows things down, without adding anythnig useful from a puzzler's point of view - at least for myself.

Comment

Hi maradnu -

That's still on my to-do list - its touch-and-go when I mess around with these javascripts, as 8 times out of 10 I'll fix something for one person and it'll break something new for five others. I have done some preliminary work on this but didn't find a satisfactory solution. Work has lapsed since then but I promise I'll be revisiting this soon.

Re: comments, I'm thinking it'll work both ways - error reporting plus just fun banter between players remarking on the quote, difficulty, etc.. Judging from the comments received so far it'll be much more of the latter than the former. :-)

Comment

leave a comment

Hi!
        Love the way you can now leave a comment about the quote. So many times a quote has left me with a burning itch to share something and everybody at home is asleep! Of course, since this feature has been added, none of the quotes have inspired me to say anything, but the time will come..........
        I'd also like to agree with Maradnu that it would be nice to lose so much time when I accidentally hit check it and there is still a blank.
        Momof6

Comment

I was very pleased to see this new feature when I logged on this morning. I admit I didn't use it today but I occasionally find myself thinking, "Say, what?!" after solving a quote and wishing there was a better way to comment on it.

Comment

Love the comment feature!

Comment

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the comments sent in so far - nearly 600 at last count! I've been fixing every quote where you've shown a legitimate error via the contact form, and adding attributions, again, thanks to your feedback.

I'm still not 100% pleased with the layout of the final results screen (after you solve a puzzle) - it seems a bit "busy" and haphazardly organized. (You can tell I'm not a designer by trade, just a programmer...) I'll do what I can to clean that up over the next several months.

Comment

When time ran out

I was adding a very good comment to a quote, when suddenly, my notebook battery died.

Oh, well. Maybe I'll see that quote again in 6 months.

Comment

Well, we have around 28,000 puzzles, and only about 750 comments have been submitted so far... you can do the math. It'll be a while before every puzzle has a comment on it.

That said, you can view all current comments just by scrolling all the way down on the results page.

Comment

I suppose you can't view a comment if one is not posted!

Comment

I'd like to see some sort of way to go BACK and re-read additional comments to puzzles we've already commented on. Sometimes I wonder how others would respond to my own comments, or how many others may respond to the comment itself in a way similar or dissimilar to my own.

Comment

Working...
                      X