Flashing Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashing Ads

I realize we have to allow advertisements on this site to keep it going, but do they have to do so much blinking and flashing before finally coming to rest? They're giving me a headache. And, yes, (sigh) I have to include the Puzzle Baron ad in this.

fat tummy ads

the flashing ads don't bother me as much as the ones with the before and after flat tummy ads. I've had a stomach full.

Comment

The tummy ads are annoying, it's true, but they don't make my right eye cringe and the right side of my head throb. I finally taped a strip of paper over the right 2 inches of screen. It seems to help.

Comment

very smart

I think I'll do the same

Comment

clever

Opallady, very clever non-technological response to the problem. I am impressed.

Comment

Thanks, momof6. I'm into DIY home repair and maintenance. Whatever works.

Comment

Hi everyone -

I do apologize for the quality of advertisements lately. At first I began declining these campaigns, as I find them to be a tad distasteful myself, but in the end I've had to come to terms with the fact that the advertising market right now (like much of the rest of the US economy) is flat-out awful. Its a choice, unfortunately, between running these campaigns and just simply hemorrhaging money. The Cryptograms.org site now reaches more people than ever before (nearly 2x last year's traffic) and all those hits require robust servers to keep things running smoothly - and those servers don't come cheap. To give you a rough idea - as of our last hardware upgrade in November, I'm now paying more for our servers each month than I am for my mortgage.

Anyway, that's my embarrassing attempt to justify these fairly awful advertisements. My hope is that as the economy improves, it will bring the ad-market back up to previous standards, and junk like this will fall back by the wayside in lieu of better quality campaigns.

However, if you're fed up with advertising on the site, there is now a "Premium Membership" option available which will completely remove ads from the site for as long as you remain logged into your account. This will result in faster page-loads and fewer distractions, and it costs as little as 11 cents a day. If you're interested, you can sign up for a premium account via Paypal, or you can click here for more information.

To be clear: members will always be able to play for free on Cryptograms.org. We will never implement a 100% pay-to-play system here. However, if you want to help support the site, or if you are simply sick of looking at advertisements while you play, there is now this option.

Thanks for listening, and as always, thanks for playing!

Stephen

Comment

Thanks for the input, Admin. I don't suppose the people hawking these ads would consider something more stationary? After all, they're medically proven (by me anyway) to trigger migraines. Ah well, I have a good supply of heavy paper and tape.

Comment

Buy this book now

Buy this book now!

Am I Hawking this book?

Bring on the ads, Stephen! At least they don't cause seizures like Japanese cartoons.

Comment

We already have a copy of Hawkings' "A Brief History of Time."

Comment

Working...
                    X