Reached a plateau, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reached a plateau, please help!

I'm stuck at the 10-20 second solve time range! Sometimes I get 6-8 and my best is 5 seconds, but that happens very rarely. Any tips to work towards consistent <15 solve times? I feel like I've not improved in so long. Sometimes I'll see a solution and automatically get it but most of the time I have several failed starts resulting in 15+ times. I also keep quitting on harder ones...

I am at around the same position where I usually get solves around 10-30 seconds and get the occasional sub-10 (around one in every 10 to 15 solves; my best solve is 6 seconds). Never give up You got this

Comment

It is hard to relate to your problem, as your average time is considerably better than mine, but one thing I did that I believe saved a second or two, was the simple measure of hitting
      "carriage return" in order to submit, rather than going to the "submit" or "chcck" button.

Comment

Thanks guys!! The space bar thing really helps I'm also trying to use the arrow keys more so maybe that'll cut down some. I think part of it is just practicing more to see patterns instantly

Comment

kb83, it's funny to see "carriage return" instead of "enter." I wonder if our younger members even know what that means. Turnip-head, it sounds like you're already one of the fastest players out there, but we all compare ourselves to a handful of superstars rather than the thousands who are slower than us.

Comment

Rasbury, I just checked the Enter button on my brand-new MacBook Air and was surprised to see that it is not labeled "Enter." It's labeled "Return." No lie.

Comment

This is a fun tangent! I remember using a typewriter with a manual carriage return. You had to take your hand from the keys, and manually move the carriage back to the beginning of the next line. It was huge when there was a key that provided the carriage return on electric typewriters.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

In the programming world, "Enter" is a complex contextual notion that implies that you're hitting some sort of button that performs different functions, like sending the data from a form or processing the end of a paragraph.

When handling function at the program level, the key is often interpreted as two "keystrokes" - both a CR (carriage return) and an LF (line feed), like the old carriage handle on a typewriter. All you're doing is moving the cursor. You need to process both to properly provide text formatting. However, there are operating systems and there are displays where the CR is more like an enter, the two functions can not be handled independently and another event is going to be generated.

If you use older keyboards, you might notice the "return" key or the "enter" key have an arrow that goes down and then to the left, showing that it will generate both a CR and an LF, when pressed. That's implied today - no one needs to see the arrow any more.

Comment

Working...
                X