slow server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slow server

Why is the server so slow today, Tuesday 4/28/09?
    I've cleaned out my disc space and deleted browsing history and cleared all unnecesary cookies.
    The other sites are responsive. But trying to solve cryptograms here today, has been hindered with very slow response times.

repyt wols

I suggest buying a new computer, now that the world economy is tanking. I have seen several notebooks at several stores for <than $400US. You can get a 'puter with 3-gig memory for under 5 bills. I think that might solve a lot of your temporal problems.

Comment

repyt wols yrev

How do you connect to the internet with a "notebook"...can you still use the old style dsl box and if so then it doesn't become very portable does it? What is WI-FI? Is it really expensive? Is that how a notebook or lap top becomes portable?

I know these are infantile 'puter questions but you seem to know alot.
      I have the opportunity of purchasing one (very slightly used yet 3 gig notebook) for a steal of a deal and yet can I still use it to do business things such as printing reports and schedules. And if I want to play Cryptos on the balcony in the summer mornings can I?

I know alot of questions, but any help would be so greatly appreciated.
      Because you all talk in words I comprehend, unlike the computer box stores which just want to sell me something!!

Thanks, and sorry Silvery I hope your server problems improve.

Comment

Hi pootie -

With a notebook you can use the same DSL/cable connection, but most folks would want to set up a "wireless network" so that you can connect to the internet without having to be plugged in via an ethernet cable. It sounds complicated but is fairly straightforward - all you need to purchase is a "wireless router" for about $40-$50. You will connect your existing DSL box to the router, and the router will then broadcast your internet connection wirelessly in your house so that you can access it usually anywhere within 80-100 feet of the wireless router.

Here's one example of a wireless router:

If it's too daunting, you can usually get the "Geek Squad" or a similar outfit to come to your home and set things up for you for a nominal fee.

You will be able to do pretty much anything with the notebook that you can do with a regular desktop. It's essentially the same thing, just a portable, smaller version of it. I've not used a desktop since 2005 and haven't looked back since - notebooks are awesome. :-)

Comment

Thanks

I appreciate the information and if you do not mind I (of course) pm'd you with more questions.

Sorry

Pootie

Comment

Computer

I still use a desktop at home, and am perfectly happy with it. I have a laptop at work, but only so I COULD work from home (though I never do).

As Stephen said, you can get a wireless router and a WiFi card, and hook the router to your DSL modem. Alternatively, you could just cable from the laptop to the DSL modem. The latter leaves you unable to move about and connect to the internet though.

You can use all the same software. If you are trying to print, it may be easiest to cable the printer to the laptop, unless you want to pay someone to set it all up for you.

Hope that helps.

Comment

It does

And I will not be paying anyone to help me...this laptop/notebook is almost a gift to us so I am sure with alot of help from you all, I can do it...still waiting to hear if it is even going to come to fruition, but hope so.

Thanks again.

Comment

Pootie, All of that tech jargon sounds much more confusing than it really is. It makes my head spin. I didn't have to do or buy any of the stuff they mentioned. It depends on what internet provider you go with. I have an HP notebook and wireless internet through AT & T. They sent me the modem and the routers for the telephone all in a kit with a disc with instructions. I was able to set it up all by myself, and I'm not the least bit computer literate. It's great having a laptop because I can go anywhere in the house and take it outside on nice days. Plus it doesn't take up much space. When I want to print something, I just plug the printer into the laptop. I seldom do much printing because I want to spare trees as much as possible. I don't know anything about wi-fi, but that's what you would need if you plan to take the computer anywhere away from your house. My laptop is only for home use, and I don't lug it around everywhere with me, so I only have wireless and not wi-fi.

Comment

I think

That may be the best thing if we get one, to just go to the Bell store (which is your AT&T) and they will probably help and if I buy the router that admin says, I can hook it up as long as there are instructions.

I think it would be wonderful to be able to move about, especially with summer coming.

Thanks Lily...AND THANKS TO ALL WHO WERE KIND ENOUGH TO RESPOND I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!

Comment

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey (or is it Steeley?)

If you have a slow server, my advice to you is to leave an 8% tip. This will induce him to give more prompt service. And for all you know, he pulls down six figures a year, anyway.

Comment

My thanks to all who responded. I have a good lap top less than a year old. I have a high speed internet connection. What I discovered was that I needed to download Internet Explorer 8! It was me, not the site ... so I hope Admin reads this ... but then they probably knew it was not this site's server! Today, I am getting the best response times. Sometimes it is tough for this little old lady to keep up with all the high tech as it evolves and gets better and better .... but I try. May you all have quick response times ... have fun and enjoy.

Comment

Hi Silvery

I keep getting prompted to download version 8...is it much different than IE7? I also use google am I going to find it strange and difficult or is it much the same? When I do the download of IE8 do I have to de-install IE7 first? As you can see I too am a little old lady who knows bupkes about all this new-fangled computer stuff...so any help, again, would be appreciated.

Thanks Silvery and good solving to you.

Thanks Silveryaspen, you helped me out in the chat box much appreciated!!!!

Comment

Slow server?

Comment

IE? Time to download Firefox ladies!

Comment

Thanks Ferryman

Thanks but I tried it and did not like it...just a matter of personal preference.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                              X