Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching with Cryptograms

Hello everyone,
    I first discovered this site a few months back when I was student teaching. My 11th graders were reading "The Gold Bug" by Edgar Allan Poe. To help them solve the cypher in the story, I brought in one of these cryptograms. The class was spellbound. For the first time ever I had the class glued to their seats when the bell rang - a few even lingered trying to finish the puzzle. They loved it so much they asked for more and I even put one on their unit exam as extra credit.
    I am now substitute teaching until the end of the semester and I always bring several cryptos with me. I hand these out when lessons run a bit short or when the regular teacher leaves instructions like "the students have independent work - they know what to do." (That means the students are going to socialize all period) Well that doesn't cut it with me! I pull out these cryptos, do a little "Wheel of Fortune" connection with the kids and off they go!
    I love how students of all levels can solve these. It is a great exercise in higher order thinking.

Congratulations

If I had teachers as dedicated and caring as you when I went to school I would consider myself to be lucky indeed.

Good Work...Moon!!

Comment

kids and cryptograms

Kids can definitely do cryptograms. My 15 year old and 13 year old are doing them right now with me.

Comment

Moon, that's wonderful. The kids in your class are very fortunate to have you as their teacher.

Comment

namesakes

And moon has the same name as Frank Zappa's older daughter!

Comment

Working...
          X