tricks/ cheats to speed up crypt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tricks/ cheats to speed up crypt...

i always look for "that" first. its usually right looks like "djed" so is easily recognized. then i can easily get "the" and it really speeds up my solving time.
    Anybody want to add one of theirs for me?
    thanks!

Originally posted by jeskalikewhoa
    i always look for "that" first. its usually right looks like "djed" so is easily recognized. then i can easily get "the" and it really speeds up my solving time.
    Anybody want to add one of theirs for me?
    thanks!
    Yep, I do that, but I also look for the endings that have two identical letters. In longer words it usually means it is the letter "s". And usually it is -ess. That is very helpful to me.

Comment

Go to "Main Forum" and on page 4 there is a forum titled "Help for Newcomers." It has several pages of helpful hints.

Comment

Another cheat

Click "try another cryptogram" to load a new puzzle. Press control-alt-F7 and hold it down for at least 10 seconds. After removing your fingers from the keys, pause for at least another 10 seconds. Now rapidly alternate between control-L and control-V. In about 5 seconds, the clock will be reset to zero, and the puzzle will auto-fill. Usually, you end with a solution time of 6 to 9 seconds.

Comment

Thanks for the answer to the mystery of low scores. I've been here about two months and my score is always in the low average range--started tfeel like I was too dumb to play ---thanks for making me feel better.
          Averages are scary, for example if we average the annual income of Dick chaney and a street person we will have about 20 million but the street guy is still in trouble.
          thanks

Comment

What are all those function keys for?

Here's another tip for those who have not upgraded to Premium. When you get a long quote, sometimes you have to scroll down a little bit to see the end of the quote. If you press F11, all your task bars and tool bars will disappear and the page you are on will now be a little taller, so you can see more of a long quote without scrolling. If you want your task bars and tool bars to reappear, just press F11 again.

Comment

Linkage Theory

Not sure how this website randomizes its quotes but I've noticed that in many cases, if not all, that at least one word from the previous quote will appear in the subsequent quote. So if I get stumped I'll try to think back to the previous quote and recognize a particular word. However this theory can easily be debunked if I were to look at the list of previous games and acknowledge any breakage of pattern. Alas, I am too lazy to do that. Keep grammin'

Comment

Yes

This has been discussed in an earlier post from way back...its true; a word or phrase will be repeated in consecutive quotes.

Its a good thing to keep in mind.

However, I have it on excellent authority that these repetitions are purely coincidental!

Comment

Originally posted by pootie49
                  This has been discussed in an earlier post from way back...its true; a word or phrase will be repeated in consecutive quotes.
                  Its a good thing to keep in mind.

Just to set the record straight, this is not actually the case - though coincidence may make it appear so from time to time.

Quotes are chosen completely at random. If certain words reappear from time to time it is only due to the fact that "famous quotations" often use similar words/themes/superlatives, such as PEOPLE, HAPPINESS, LOVE, ALWAYS, NEVER, etc.

Any repetition of words/phrases/themes from one quote to another is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                  X