New here, and already complaining!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here, and already complaining!

No, not really. Just getting accustomed to cryptograms online and adjusted to the fact of my own slow ineptitude.

I ran across a quotation here from James Joyce, while solving it of course, and I thought it didn't make sense. Some would argue that Joyce ever did.

Anyway, I hope you'll forgive a novice poster for pointing out what I believe is an error in a puzzle.

Your puzzle quoted Joyce as saying "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's mortality."

It seems to me that one's mortality is pretty well insured without doing anything about it. So I looked it up. A slightly more complete version of Joyce's quotation is:

"If I gave it all up immediately, I'd lose my immortality. I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality"

hi cartag! that's quite observant of you so soon!

If you look at the thread that starts with "incomplete quotes...", you will see that others on the site have also noticed some quotes like the one you pointed out.

I think it's amazing how much you guys know about writers and philosopher etc!

oh, well, i still have fun solving them...!

Comment

Kvetch, kvetch, kvetch...

"The world is so dreadfully managed, one hardly knows to whom to complain." ~Ronald Firbank

(gerbils leaving dreadfully managed world )

Comment

It's quite humbling to find an error in my first post, where I pointed out an error. There's a lesson there somewhere.

Comment

Working...
        X