Longest word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longest word

What is the longest word you have ever deciphered?

It's possible

The longest word I can think of right now is "possibiltarian."

"Become a possibilitarian. No matter how dark things seem to be or actually are, raise your sights and see the possibilities--always see them, for they're always there."--Norman Vincent Peale

But Anatolia is so impressive, she once solved a quote with "brobdingnagian megalosauruses."

Comment

Frisbeetarianism

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

Comment

I love it

thanks for the delightful illustration

Comment

Longest word...

I decided to google what the current longest word is in the common English language:

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (45 letters)
          (a disease of the lungs cause by inhaling silica dust)

Would not want to see that in a crypto.

Comment

It's a long word after all

If we include proper nouns, which are obviously used in very many cryptos, words can get even longer. For example, this town in North Wales:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

The English translation of this is "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave."

And then there's this New Zealand town:

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakit anatahu

Translated from the Maori, it is "the place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as 'landeater,' played his flute to his loved one."

And here's the full Thai name for Bangkok:

กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยามหาดิลก ภพนพรัตน์ ราชธานีบุรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์ มหาสถาน อมรพิมาน อวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะ วิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์

Krungthepmahanakonbowornratanakosinmahintarayudyay amahadiloponoparatanarajthaniburiromudomrajniwesma hasatarnamornpimarnavatarsatitsakattiyavisanukamph rasit

Or, in English:

"The land of angels, the great city of immortality, various of divine gems, the great angelic land unconquerable, land of nine noble gems, the royal city, the pleasant capital, place of the grand royal palace, forever land of angels and reincarnated spirits, predestined and created by the highest devas."

Comment

I am greatly amused!

Comment

holy guacamoli

first of all, LLL, you have a talent for understatement! that was amazing bansai! you really did your homework. where do you get all this %$#&$! I can't wait to send that pic to people. 'course i have to figure out how to do that...it is possible isn't it?

anyway, let's all be thankful that bansai didn't come up with a pic for Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis!

Comment

Comment

Zoiks

How did you do that, Bansai?????????

That is way impressive. Care to enlighten us with your expertise on how in the heck you were able to either create or find a picture with pneumo etc etc in it???

Comment

How? How? Courage!!

The same way you find your butterflies. You just use your fruitful imagination and search for the images. It's a great big world wide web and there are more pages than peeps on the planet. Just don't get carpal tunnel syndrome along the way

Comment

Antidisestablishmentarianism

Comment

well..another long word

Lopado*temacho*selacho*galeo*kranio*leipsano*drim* hypo*trimmato*silphio*parao*melito*katakechy*meno* kichl*epi*kossypho*phatto*perister*alektryon*opte* kephallio*kigklo*peleio*lagoio*siraio*baphe*tragan o*pterygon is a fictional dish mentioned in Aristophanes' comedy Assemblywomen.

The dish was a fricassée, with at least 16 sweet and sour ingredients, including the following:

* Fish slices
                          * Fish of the Elasmobranchii subclass (a shark or ray)
                          * Rotted dogfish or small shark's head
                          * Generally sharp-tasting dish of several ingredients grated and pounded together
                          * Silphion "laserwort," apparently a kind of giant fennel
                          * A kind of crab, shrimp, or crayfish
                          * Honey poured down
                          * Wrasse (or thrush)
                          * Was topped with a kind of sea fish or Blackbird
                          * Wood pigeon
                          * Domestic pigeon
                          * Chicken
                          * Roasted head of dabchick
                          * Hare, which could be a kind of bird or a kind of sea hare
                          * New wine boiled down
                          * Wing and/or fin

Comment

mmm, mmm

yum...you've got my mouth watering! oh, rats! I'm allergic to domestic pigeon.

Comment

Lysistrata

I've read read Aristophanes' "Lysistrata," but I never heard of "Assemblywomen" 'til now. According to the www, the play is very similar to "Lysistrata," dealing with women in politics dissatisfied with the way men have bollixed things. I used to have a friend who actually had a cat named "Lysistrata."

Comment

Working...
                              X