• Show
Clear All

• mikehallbackhoe
    replied
    revenue is vanity, margin is sanity, cash is king

Leave a comment:

• mikehallbackhoe
    replied
    if jack's in love, he's no judge of jill's beauty. our old friend ben franklin

Leave a comment:

• Lurker
    replied
    Yup, and there was one in Spanish then English. Then there's the "a'borrowing", which looks like French because of the apostrophe after the first letter. There are some nasty ones on this site.

Leave a comment:

• wvwoman
    replied
    it was in both french & english?!

Leave a comment:

• Lily H
    replied
    There used to be a French proverb about the same time that the Scottish "rudder maun" one was floating around. "Partir c'est mourir un peu - to leave is to die a little." I hated that one, and it went immediately into my list once I got help from fellow solvers in solving it.

Leave a comment:

• damsel22
    replied
    Obnoxiously difficult quotes

I think the ones I struggle with the most are the ones with multiple short words of three and four letters rather than quotes with the longest words.

Leave a comment:

• wvwoman
    replied
    "Who to himself is law, no law doth need." — Arthur Chapman

just looking at it, it doesn't look so difficult...but it was!

Leave a comment:

• Lurker
    replied
    I haven't had "rudder maun" in a long time. Had kind of hoped it had been removed. That one has been around for at least five years, probably more.

Leave a comment:

• wvwoman
    replied
    i've solved that one once--i recognized it by the word rudder and someone had just mentioned it in chat or forum--i still had to look it up, though. i'm sure i've NOT solved it plenty of times!

Leave a comment:

• damsel22
    replied
    That's impressive, Marnita. I don't believe I would have been able to solve that one!

Leave a comment:

• gryhnd51
    replied
    That proverb is a real bugbear to solve unless u've a wee bit o' the Scots yearself! The first time I solved it, it went immediately into my "list".

Leave a comment:

• marnita
    replied
    I just got a proverb: "He that winna be ruled by the rudder maun be ruled by the rock. "
    It didn't even say it was Scottish!

Leave a comment:

• damsel22
    replied

"Do good by stealth, and blush to find it fame."
    — Alexander Pope

Average time 330 seconds. I took about 233.

"No more we meet in yonder bowers Absence has made me prone to roving; But older, firmer hearts than ours, Have found monotony in loving. "
    — Lord Byron

Average time 260 seconds, my time 223.

Oh my goodness, two in a row! I think it's time for a coffee break!

Leave a comment:

• montyb
    replied
    Thanks, Damsel

It's going to be a great day; I'm playing golf today with my son.

Leave a comment:

• damsel22
    replied

ooh, Montyb, that's just wrong! I'm sorry you had to experience that. Try to have a good day anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X