Hello - New Member Inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello - New Member Inquiry

I have played cryptograms for months as a guest, and decided to take the plunge and register, finally. I also loved doing them in the puzzle books and newspapers. I find them to be fun and challenging.

I have a question, is it permissable to Google some of the more difficult quotes? Or is that frowned upon?

Thanks.

And, if anyone can offer any other tips, it would be very helpful.

Hmmmm...

I won't tell anyone if you don't tell anyone.

But, seriously, AmberRose, people do sometimes use the internet to give them a little "boost." And if you were using google to solve the puzzles, how would we know??? Your secret's safe with us.

If you want more tips on how to solve, just look through the pages of this forum. We've already made several topics on this subject. And you can always ask people questions in chat, too.

Comment

Thank you

My lips are sealed.

Comment

know that some people use

cryptogram, cryptoquip, quippiuq, quipquip, quippiuq, cipher, simple substituion cipher, patristocrat

I have seen it referenced in the chat.

Comment

Thank you

Very helpful.

Comment

Last question, I hope

Why are the long puzzles so stingy on points?

It seems, to me, that more points should be given to those puzzles than some of the much shorter ones?

Comment

short vs long

hi amber. i am a fairly new member as well and as one new member to another, i can tell you...you will find the other members very helpful! i had (and still have!) LOTS of questions and everyone is real patient about answering them.

as far as the long puzzles vs. short ones. at first i kinda thought the way you are thinking, but if you think about it, the point systme makes sense. long puzzles get less points because they are easier because, at least this is what i think, because there are more letter patterns, punctuation, letter repetitions, etc. all helpful hints to solving the puzzle.

Comment

Thank you

I see what you are saying, and that makes sense.

Thanks so much.

Comment

"Help For Newcomers"

oh, and as to your other questions about tips for solving, etc. if you look on or about page 4 of the Main Forum Discussion page you will see a thread called "Help For Newcomers". it's got lots of ideas and helpful hints.

doesn't look like you need help tho. you are great at this. maybe i should go out and break my leg....!

actually no thanks, i've fractured a couple of bones in my foot once and that was no fun at all!

how did you break your leg?

Comment

Thank you Angie

I was mountain biking, my wheel got caught on a rock, and I fell a long way down the mountain. It was a hill in reality, it just sounds better when I say mountain.

I am recuperating at a friends' home with JR, I have ALOT of time on my hands right now, and I am actually on bed rest (I have pins and screws holding my ankle to my leg) so, I reckoned this would be an opportune time to play competitively. I am not used to being cooped up and so sedentary, so if I cannot keep my body active I might as well keep my fingers and mind fit.

Thank you for asking and for your help and your kind words. I have played as a Guest for months, off and on, and picked up a great deal of information from the forum, and reading your chat page box. It has proved very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                    X