left-handed keyboarding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• left-handed keyboarding

i realize this sounds kinda funny, but i remember a LONG time ago one of us crypto nerds saying that he or she learned to type with their left hand alone and mouse with their right. (i was complaining that i had trouble getting my right hand back on the jkl; keys after using the mouse, and hence hindering my speed.

well, i'm still complaining about that and i can't remember who said that so if you are reading this please reveal yourself and also any and all secrets as to how to learn to type left handed alone.

i'm old school (as witnessed by my now revealed age ) so i'm in the habit of starting my fingers on the asdf and jkl; keys. i hope its not too late to teach this old dog a new trick!

Lefties

Hi!

No idea, but I'd love to hear about it too. Just a little question of my own. Does being left handed make it harder to jump between the mouse and the keyboard? Because that is hard for me and I was wondering if that was a factor.

Comment

Lefties rule!

As a slightly ambidextrous left-hander, I've taught myself to use the mouse with my right hand. Since most of the useful keys are on the left hand, it's less of a jump back. The raised dots on the J help a lot.

Plus, I'm on a laptop most of the time, so the mousepad is only a thumb-stretch away.

Comment

I think you are on to something there, Lurker. I remember the old "qwerty" keyboards I learned on always had a raised dot on the "f" and the "j" so a person could find their way back to the 'home' keys easier.

I'll try putting a little piece of tape on the 'j'. if that doesn't work maybe a sharp nail sticking up between the 'h' and the 'j' so it draws blood when I miss the key. if THAT doesn't work maybe I could wire the keyboard so that the 'h' or the 'j' key would give me a couple of thousand volts...hmmm.

Oh, well, the important thing is to have fun!

but seriously, thanks for your help!

Comment

My keyboard does have little bumps on the f and j keys, but i'm still so bad. i feel like i need three hands!

Comment

Huh

if that doesn't work maybe a sharp nail sticking up between the 'h' and the 'j' so it draws blood when I miss the key. if THAT doesn't work maybe I could wire the keyboard so that the 'h' or the 'j' key would give me a couple of thousand volts...
            Wow, that sounds really hardcore, Angie. But I'm still not sure I understand this topic. "Left-handed keyboarding?" Is that an event at the Ultimate X-Games??? Whatever it is, you go, girl!

(I guess she has her left hand on her "keyboard?" But, I bet it would work a lot better if she took off that big, thick glove.)

Comment

x-ray vision?

hey bansai how do you know that's a "she" from that angle!?

Comment

Working...
              X