Unattributed Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unattributed Quotes

I realize I may be opening a can of worms with this one, but here goes: does anyone else out there dislike the unattributed quotes? When they come up, I dread solving them, usually because they are often quite silly or dumb, and not necessarily because I like having the context. I was so fed up last night with an unattributed quote, I thought about asking for a poll to ban them! I know this is not my site, so maybe I shouldn't be complaining. Yet, when I look at my list of quotes in "recent games", when I've been solving for a while, 10% (sometimes more) are "unattributed". That's a pretty high percentage in my view.

Okay, I've said my piece. Discuss.

I mind them when it seems like someone could have found the source. Reader4 will post it if he gets the quote, but that doesn't help while you're solving it.

On the other hand, if it's something very common that we just don't know who said it first, I'd rather see Unattrib or Anonymous rather than the obscure Proverb. I have seen some random and not very pithy phrases come up as Proverb, and can't understand why they are attributed that way.

Comment

i definitely give a sigh when i see the word "unattributed". they're are not my favorites, but i haven't paid special attention as to whether they're any dumber than, for instance, a benjamin franklin quote i had tonight!

i would like to see thumbnail bios on all the cited authors, though---they're missing on a number of them.

Comment

Working...
      X