Illogical Conclusions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illogical Conclusions

This is for all new members and those who believe that there is cheating going on. Long-time players are sick of explaining this to every new member who complains.

Just because you can't solve quotes as fast as the leaders, or solve every quote to achieve 100%, doesn't mean that someone else can't. If you can't type fast enough to score a record time, practice to increase your typing speed. If you can't solve quotes fast, try playing over 100,000 puzzles here, until you have seen every one at least once and start to remember the answers instead of solving them from scratch. Do you think any of us were that good when we started? Look at the first month's trophies and compare them to last month's. Times were a lot slower, and fewer people achieved 100%.

There was a case of cheating once. It was by a computer programming professor who admitted to creating a solving program. The person was banned from the site and all his times were reset. There are still a few "reset" records out there that you may find.

Instead of getting mad and accusing people of cheating, use it as inspiration. Bansai, defeaterdefeater, Nanrich, priestp, Lily H, and the rest who regularly make the top 10 in speed and percentage solved are just AWESOME PLAYERS!

Thanks for posting this Lurker. I just started doing cryptograms about 4 months ago, and became quickly addicted There is definitely a learning curve in the beginning, so I didn't play competitively for the first few weeks. Over the past few months, because I play A LOT, I've been able to improve tremendously, going from always being "very slow" (if not the slowest) to now, where I'm getting mostly "above average" if not "very fast"! In other words, I can do a puzzle now, on average, almost 8 - 10 times faster than I could when I started!

I can now recognize the common words (their patterns) quite quickly, i.e.: "the" "it is" "there" "always", etc., and while the pattern doesn't always pan out, it's a good starting point. And yes, it's more fun now.

I see how folks that are new to this site can be skeptical about the results that they see. I remember when I started, seeing those win times and thinking "how is that possible?" Who the hell is this BansaiSequoia? Ha ha (although I liked the name immediately - smallest tree, biggest tree.) But I figured the guy is just a mad crypter with a special knack for seeing patterns....

Aaaanyhow, I do use the AWESOME players as inspiration. My current rule of thumb for feeling like I did super well, is that if my win time is less than 4 times the speed of the posted win time, than I've done great! And, if I come in 3X or only twice the time, I've done fantastic!

So, new players, hang in there! Have fun with it, and (in my case at least) - don't spend the whole day here, your life is waiting for you!

Comment

Illogical conclusions

For Chopstix: I also found Lurker's reply informative. fyi, I was just researching stats and noted that this month (only 3 days) some solver has solved over 700 puzzles so you can see how much experience they must have,

Comment

Whoa - that's a lot of playing! I hope whoever that is, is really fast or it would mean like 3 - 6 hours a day!.... Aaahh, if there were only a way to get paid for one's time here....

Comment

I looked at the top 20 solve times for february 2008, and I would have been in the top 5. I guess I started 4 years too late. it just goes to show you how much faster these folks have gotten with practice. I don,t know how to type, and yet my solve times are improving. I am also beginning to recognize puzzles that I have solved in the past. no doubt about it , if you want to get faster, practice, practice,practice.

Comment

I've been noticing how fast you're getting, Mikehallbackhoe, great work.

Comment

thanks, but I am still slow compared to others. my times are getting better though. one thing I notice is how some word patterns are so much easier to recognize, and I am recognizing puzzles that I have previously solved. I don't expect to get as fast as some folks, but I finally made into the top 20 fastest list by the way, congratulations, I see you also made the top 20 fastest in august.

Comment

Wow! Thanks, I had no idea, I never check the Fastest Solver scores. I only check the High Score Challenge

Comment

Working...
                X