Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solving videos

Hi folks -

I get at least 1-2 complaints a week asking why we allow "obvious cheaters" like bansai and others to keep their "impossible" solve times of 8, 10, 12 seconds on various cryptograms... and frankly, I'm getting a little tired of explaining the same thing to people again, and again and again. So I thought maybe it would be fun for some of the faster solvers on the site to try screencasting themselves in order to record a video of an amazingly fast solve time.

I tried it myself just now and after a few tries was able to come in with an 18 second solve time - not my best, but still pretty decent I thought!

Sample solve of a cryptogram on http://www.cryptograms.org, showing how some puzzles can be solved quite quickly thanks to cascading patterns. This one was ...

(I used free software to capture this called Cam Studio - http://camstudio.org/)

If anyone is up for the challenge, please go ahead and post your video to youtube and post its url here... if we can get enough of them I'll put together a special page on the site where the best ones will be featured.

Thanks!

Stephen

That's fantastic! I wish I understood how to do that. With my luck, whenever the program was recording, it would be on a quote I couldn't solve in under a minute.

Aw nuts, it doesn't look Mac-compatible.

Comment

It's even easier on Macs, I believe - you can just use Quicktime:

It’s hard to find any detailed information on the web about how to record a screen video without buying expensive software. I found out how to do it, so here I’m going to explain what I did for the…

Comment

I should also add - you can record video of a several puzzles back to back, upload the whole thing to Youtube, and then "trim it" via Youtube's editing tools so that it will only show the puzzle you solved the quickest. It's fairly simple to do using Youtube's built-in toolset.

Comment

Wish I'd known that while I was recording. Got the Quicktime thing to work, and captured an 8 second solve! Too bad Bansai did it in 7. Next up, learning how to post something on YouTube.

Comment

Wow, nicely done! If you get stuck on the youtube upload maybe you can email the video to me at puzzlebaron@gmail.com (if its < 20MB) and I can edit and upload it for you.

I've done another just now in 15 seconds but that's about pushing my personal boundaries... I think the best I've ever done is 12. :-)

Comment

I did it! I did it!

I am now a member of YouTube with a successfully posted video.

Solving a quote on Cryptograms.org. You can do it fast if you type well and don't make any mistakes

Beware, the genie is now out of the bottle. Mwah, ha, ha!

One thing I would like to remind anyone doing this project is to hide your bookmarks bar and any personal computer stuff while you're doing the screenmovie. Remember, this is going to be viewed by many.

Oh, and my personal best for a puzzle is 5 seconds. Threw a huge me-party for that. Only about 4 people have done it. Stephen, we play your game MUCH more than you do! A top solve of 12 seconds is impressive.

Comment

Great video!

Comment

Da Plane!

My last one for the day, I promise.

Solving a quote on Cryptograms.org. I didn't solve this one very quickly, and had to jump around a lot, but it was fast enough to beat the old record. Da p...

This is for anyone who wants to know what the plane looks like. Bonus, I now have a video of "taking back a brick".

Comment

What a great solution for the doubtful! I guess you'll be able to simply direct those who think it's possible to cheat, to these videos from now on.

From my own experience, I've found that I'm getting faster and faster, (as well as continuing to get stuck,) but all in good fun. I've been at it daily for 4-1/2 months now and lately I've been able to come within seconds of the win time (a few of times) which is new for me. So you newbies, just know, there is a learning curve - you'll get there if you wanna. (Of course if you have the time to bang away at cryptograms more than you'll want to admit!)

Comment

Ah Stephen, what a perfect idea !! I can't believe how many awful "comments" I've read....and rebutted...over the years. Needless to say, Bansai is a frequent target because he's so incredibly quick, but I've seen others "dissed" also. I look forward to seeing a clip of Bansai working his magic.

Thank you for addressing this issue with a positive, concrete response.

Comment

Can't wait to try this! I'm a bit rusty, but I'll try it later to see if I can get a fast solve time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker
                          My last one for the day, I promise.

Solving a quote on Cryptograms.org. I didn't solve this one very quickly, and had to jump around a lot, but it was fast enough to beat the old record. Da p...

This is for anyone who wants to know what the plane looks like. Bonus, I now have a video of "taking back a brick".

Thanks for that.

This is the first time I've seen that plane - and probably the only time I ever will other than on Youtube. It's really interesting to see how people solve so quickly.

Comment

Bravo, Stephen! I hope this will put an end to the whiners who complain that only cheaters could solve that fast. Those of us who have played for a long time are sick and tired of explaining that everyone gets faster the more they play. It just takes time and practice, practice, practice. It's also a good thing that the videos were made by players other than Bansai. He holds the most records, so most of the complaints are against him, but this proves that other players can solve quickly too.

Comment

Other players, plural? Not that Admin doesn't count, but I'm waiting for more to be posted. Come on, Lily, you're good at stuff like that. Besides, then you would have a YouTube account to post videos of Kayla.

Comment

Working...
                              X