In Memory of Pootie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pootie, ad infinitum

My story with Donna is much like everyone's; first to greet newcomers, birthday greetings, and such. One weekend When my wife was out of town and I was trying not too successfully to stave off lonliness, I serendipitously ran across a most apropos comment she left on a puzzle. I sent her private message about it which I will share in its entirety.

I just solved a quote from Charles Dickens about having someone to sit with when I read the following comment from you.

"I agree. Someone to sit on a bench in the garden with after a long day, and just watch the sun set and talk about your day, your dreams, your hopes. then he takes your hand and says lets go inside its late and you stand up and hold each other and think yes this is how it should be. my friend, my lover, my confessor, my hope and my future. an equal. whom you look at and without a doubt in your mind think, i love this man and he loves me...what else do we really need? that complete feeling of belonging."

As I sit here writing this, my wife is out of town visiting a friend and I miss her company. I feel exactly the same way as you so eloquently expressed. I have lived more than half my life with her and nothing has been more enjoyable (outside of raising two wonderful kids) than the simple pleasure of her companionship.

Thank you for writing this.

John

This is the Pootie I will always remember. In keeping with Barnabas' wonderful nautical tribute:

Donna, wherever you are, may the sun always be on your face and the wind at your back.
    Farewell, Friend.

John
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Impersonally personal

As a fairly new member to the site it is heartwarming to hear personal comments made about an online friend. I have noticed pootie while playing and I am sad I did not get the chance to know the person behind the user name. This site is truly a community of real people even though they cannot be seen or touched.

Comment

Iam very sad of the passing of one our members. She is no longer with us but she is in a much better place and she won't be struggling with this world her pain is gone.God bless her family in this time of pain. God needed a beautiful angel to join our friends and relatives that have left us.

Comment

I am one of the many welcomed by Pootie. Besides guiding me in solving cryptograms, she asked caring questions, answered mine, and made me laugh. She was unfailingly kind to me.

Tu m'as tendu la main. Merci, Donna. Je ne te dis pas adieu mais au revoir.

Comment

Donna's sister has been reading your comments. She wanted me to thank all of you for sharing your stories about your experiences with Donna. She was overwhelmed by the love and respect that all of us had for Donna. She is grieving now, but she may come and thank you personally some time in the future.

Comment

amazing, isn't it?

never underestimate the impact you can have on others!

Comment

Farewell,dear Pootie

I didn't know Donna as well as the rest of you,but I just had the feeling she would always be there.I take it for granted that you all are watching and reading my posts,as I do all of yours,and I can count on you all being here whenever I log on.You make me laugh when I feel so down,I don't think I can go on,and I love you all for that.Pootie was just such a person,welcoming me to the fold and encouraging me on,even though she hardly knew me.I feel towards each and every one of you as my family,and I will truly miss Donna.My sincere sympathy to her family.

Comment

Pootie

I have missed a while, you know, tech difficulties.
                  So sorry to hear Pootie is gone on her journey with out us. She is in good company, you know.
                  Thank you Barnabas, for your "Gone from my eyes" poem a wonderful perspective for those of us left behind.
                  You are all so special, thanks.
                  Father in Heaven, smile on us today, help us to smile again. Amen
                  <3 Mary Sunshine

Comment

I think detailing Pootie's statistics would be appropriate. The numbers she achieved are much like the person she was... in a word, awesome. Most of the numbers are easily found elsewhere on this website - such as... 151,330 puzzles solved out of 153,817 attempted for a 98.3% completion rate. Points amassed: 43,449,704. These are numbers that will never change; her last puzzle solved on December 22, 2012 at 3:54 PM (website time). Had she not been stricken with her illness, these numbers would undoubtedly be much higher. One number that will change as time passes will be her ranking on the all-time list, and that is the reason I felt it was important to make note of her statistics. When Pootie passed away she was (and still is) ranked 7th on the all-time list. As the years go by she will eventually drop out of the top 10, and then the top 25, and so on. It's inevitable. What's important to realize, though, is this; even in Pootie's hobbies she strived for excellence. And if she could achieve the kind of excellence here that she did, I would imagine that she was a wonderful family member, friend, co-worker, etc. I have no doubt she was the very best.

Comment

Thank you, Barnabas, for posting Donna's (Pootie's) statistics. What a lovely way to remember her amazing achievement on this site. I was far behind her on the all-time list when she first became ill. I started playing less then because I didn't want to pass her. She encouraged me to play and became my biggest supporter. She even congratulated me when I passed her because that's the kind of person she was. She was a wonderful friend and truly an amazingly brave and courageous woman in the way she handled her illness.

Comment

After an unusual break from Cryptos, I am saddened to hear about the passing of Pootie.

Although I didn’t know her (beyond a brief yet hilarious exchange concerning an imaginary overnight food-laden party for Crypto-nuts,) I admired what I saw as a straight-talking, protective, tough yet warm woman who clearly enjoyed this site, defended its integrity - as well as fellow players - and did not suffer fools. She earned and deserved all of the respect and accolades among these comments.

My warm thoughts and regards to her and her family.

- R

Comment

Thank You

Forgive me for not replying sooner.

I thank you all sincerely and with deep respect for all your
                          kind thoughts, words, memories and condolences.

Pootie loved this site. Thank you Stephen for creating such
                          a fantastic place for people to come and play and make friends.

Please know that she loved you all in her inimitable way.

Once again, my sincerest thanks.

Please dont forget her.

Everyone take good care and enjoy this great game.

Comment

hey, big sis!

i come across at least one comment from pootie on a puzzle page every day or so, so there's no WAY i can forget her--and i'm sure it's the same for all who "knew" her here! what a great way to be reminded of her--and comments stay forever.

Comment

When Donna first joined the site, we were fierce competitors....constantly chasing and passing each other. At that time, I had several different avatars that I would choose from, not being totally satisfied with any of them! And then one day Donna sent me a private message asking if my username stood for "greyhound". THis surprised me 'cause the few inquiries I had received prior to that translated it as "greyhair"..!! At the time, we had our first rescued greyhound. At any rate, the next day she sent me a link to the avatar that I continue to use, and from that day on we became friends. Every time I'm here I'm reminded of her kindness and love not just by my "greyhounds rock!!" avatar but also by her wonderful, witty and charming comments. She will be remembered by everyone who interacted with her ( including those hospice folks!! Jeez, that still makes me laugh!!)

Comment

?

@gryhnd51 - what hospice folks? is there a good story you'd like to share?!

Comment

Working...
                                X