To Fruitcake, or not to Fruitcake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Fruitcake, or not to Fruitcake?

I've never made fruitcake before, but I thought I'd try this year. Actually, I'm not sure I've ever had it because it is so maligned.

Do you like fruitcake? Do you have a link to a favorite recipe or vendor you'd like to share? I'm leaning toward the King Arthur Flour golden fruitcake recipe because it's lighter.
    No!! Are you crazy? Don't make it, ever!
    0%
    Yes, I love fruitcake! I even have a favorite one...
    0%
    I like it if it's light, but not the really dense ones.
    0%
    Make it heavy, with lots of fruit and brandy!
    0%

The poll is expired.

i've steered clear of them most of my life--but have had a few that have been tasty. i like the ones that have lots of nuts and have dried fruit, like raisins--i don't care for the candied fruit.
    i didn't fit any of the poll categories, so i went with the last one!

Comment

Growing up in nothern New England, my French Canadian grandmother made some wonderful fruit cake. It had lots of different nuts and raisins, but it was "light" and somewhat refreshing, although you couldn't eat a lot at a time.
      My grandmother would serve it with a dollop of freshly made whipped cream. Over the years, I've tried several different kinds of commercial fruitcakes and most of them are disgustingly sweet and cloying. I've come to think that it can only be good if it's homemade and fresh. Unfortunately, the recipe died with my grandmother. Good luck, Lurker

Comment

Fruitcake

Never been much of a fruitcake fan. I can eat it, but it is not something I'd choose.

Comment

and it has SUCH a bad reputation that if you're going to give it as a gift, it'd better be good---and perhaps it should come with a little 'sample' piece to try before opening, so the receiver doesn't just automatically toss it, or re-gift it, untried!

Comment

the poll

The "poll" results so far are funny to me....only 25 % say "don't make it EVER" which should mean that more folks LIKE it than HATE it! SOme said they have a favorite recipe, and I hope they share it with you. You're a great imaginative cook, so I just know you'll figure it out. I just hope it gets posted on your site when you're done :-) I've tried out a few of your recipes and they are de-lish!

Comment

Well, I did it. I have three mini loaves cooling, with a larger cake almost ready to take out of the oven. It isn't difficult. I always pictured it as much harder to make. I did pick a light recipe. Maybe I can take it to work and not tell them what it is until after they've eaten some. Mwah, ha, ha...

The recipe will be up on the blog in a few days.

Comment

I'm so looking forward to reading your blog, Lurker!!! I might give your recipe a try for the holidays.

Comment

can you please give us the blog address (again!)? thanks.

Comment

It should be on my user profile, but here: http://pantrycreations.blogspot.com

Comment

user profile--yes, that makes sense. duh.
                      thank you!

Comment

so...?

what did you think of the fruitcake you made? comments from others? will you make it again?

Comment

I'm also curious Lurker as to the feedback that you got from "consumers". Iv'e always loved to cook, but baking is a whole new world for me, and I'm entering that world with some trepidation.
                          Last year I made my very first pie crust from scratch...it was really yummy, and I filled it with a delicious pork-pie filling ( my husband's nirvana). But since then I've tried 3 more times to make pie crust and have failed utterly.
                          Hence my continued reluctance to enter into the "baking world".
                          If I'm going to try making something new, I need reassurance that it will come out "as advertised"...!
                          Thanks for your patience!

Comment

I liked it, and so did the people who got over the "fruitcake" stigma and had some. I'm considering making a variation of it for Purim, when you typically eat nuts and fruits. The candied fruit won't be available, but dried fruits always are. The best part was that it was easy and came out exactly as expected. Recipes from ingredient companies (in this case the flour) usually work well because they're trying to sell a product.

I hear you on the piecrust, gryhnd. Sometimes mine are good, sometimes they aren't. Unless it's an unusual shape or needs a top crust, I just buy the ones pre-pressed into tins. At the very least, they are a whole lot prettier than mine.

Comment

Working...
                            X