What other puzzles do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What other puzzles do you do?

I have a full-blown puzzle addiction, and I bet I'm not alone...do most of you focus on cryptograms, or do you have other puzzle obsessions?

Here are mine:

A crossword every night before bed (from the NY Times Crosswords Calendar, a yearly Christmas gift from my oldest son)

Two KenKen puzzles most evenings, online from NY Times, the "Harder" 6X6 and 8X8

Lumosity - I discovered this a few months ago, and I completely neglected cryptograms for awhile! Now it's a more occasional pastime, and I'm back to cryptos again.

...and on a long airplane flight, a couple of good hard Sudokus in the airline magazine can keep me quiet for hours! (Beneficial for people sitting next to me )

I've never started a thread before, and I look forward to seeing any replies that you guys want to post!

The Post Bulletin (Rochester, Minnesota's daily paper) has a fairly easy crossword, a daily Sudoku puzzle (they rate their Sudokus in difficulty from 1 to 6, each Monday is a 1, Tuesday is a 2, and so on, increasing in difficulty each day through Saturday). And they have a daily cryptogram. So it was the Post Bulletin that got me started on cryptos and Sudoku. I do more cryptos than anything else, but I occasionally go to wedsudoku.com. I don't believe that website has any way of tallying points or puzzles solved, etc., but it is a good Sudoku website. I'll also buy a magazine dedicated to logic puzzles (it comes out every three months). I really enjoy those kinds of problems, and I know Puzzle Baron has a logic website which I occasionally (as a guest only, so far) will visit.

Comment

Cryotos are my favourite, but when I'm having my daily hot chocolate, I'll do some word searches, because although they require no brain power, they can be done one-handed!

Comment

Nice inquiry universalmom -

I'm a crypto addict, and love crosswords, but I also like Cricklers which is not only fun, but is based on very current news stories:

Also, I saw this link today, some of you may find it interesting. It's about a post asking for help solving a "code" on index cards left by a dying grandmother 20 years ago…

Back in October, Daniel Drucker told the TLDR podcast he was looking through his recently deceased dad's computer when he found a document that contained only joke punchlines. It on...

Comment

Barnabas - I had totally forgotten logic puzzles! I used to do them fanatically, and that was how I first found cryptograms.org. Thanks for reminding me!

Comment

Oh chopstix, those cricklers are addictive

Comment

...and how does a momof7 ever find time for a nice quiet cup of hot chocolate? (I've always wondered if you are the lady formerly known on this site as momof6 )

Comment

Yes, she renamed herself when #7 came along.

I do the L.A. Times crossword and 9x9 sudoku every day. Online it's mostly here, but I have userids at Puzzle Baron's Crosswords, Drop Quotes, and Acrostics. Non-word gamey, I sometimes drop in on Games.com, and have recently become addicted to Escape games. Play those way too much. On airplanes, I get the Variety puzzles book and do whatever looks like the most fun. I also used to do logic puzzles a lot, but Puzzle Baron's are too hard for me. My logic has limits.

Comment

My first love is the quotes I solve here, but my second love is the totally wordless picture puzzles (for kids and grown-up kids) on this link: http://www.magickeys.com/books/jigsaws/index.html

Comment

Besides cryptograms (both here and in puzzle books), I do crossword and logic problems every day.

BTW, I saw on the news tonight that viewers had solved the mystery of the grandmother's index cards!

Comment

I don't have time for many puzzles these days, but when I was younger I loved just about any puzzle. I used to enjoy mechanical puzzles such as rubiks cube, logic puzzles, anagrams, chess, just about any kind of puzzle except crossword puzzles.

Comment

Lurker is correct. Momof6 used to be me. Now I'm a mom of 7, so I renamed myself (3 years ago). My daily cup of hot chocolate is my mini vacation. It keeps me out of the loony bin. I used to wait till it was all quiet at night, but now with my 'baby' in Nursery School I can get that daily dose of sanity in the morning. I just love puzzles and so I find time. I usually do cryptograms one here, one there in between the things I am supposed to be doing. I also love Sudokus and crosswords, but have never tried doing them on line. (I'm also not that good at either of them.)

Comment

what other puzzles

I do like cryptograms best, but jigsaw puzzles are enjoyable too and thanks, Thresa for the magic keys site, that is very cool! I used to like logic puzzles and need to get my brain going on those again. They are harder to me now than they used to be!!

Comment

Enjoying the replies posted.

I am addicted to a logic game from a long time ago, and now have the android one on my kindle. It's called "Sherlock". You can try some freebie puzzles. Once you learn it ...

I'm not very good at these Cryptograms, but I know if I play more often I'll improve. I also enjoyed Crickler, and am glad someone jogged my memory on that.

Comment

Universalmom - So glad to here that there's another Cricklers fan among the cryptos!

Thresa - I gotta check those out…!

Comment

Working...
                              X