the times they are a changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the times they are a changing

No, I'm not talking about the song, I'm talking about how the solve rate is getting quicker around here. feb 2008 3rd place time was 56.5 seconds. this month 56 seconds will not get you into the top 20th position. overall, I would say everybody is getting quicker. Back in 2008, 99 seconds would have gotten you into the top 20 spot. keep playing, there's hope for us all

Yep, we all play too much . Some days, I wish all the records could be reset so new players could have the joy of seeing the plane. Then I remember the two 6-second solves I have floating out there, and change my mind.

It's been a few years since a new batch of quotes went live. Even though I know I haven't seen every quote on the site yet, it would be great to have some brand-new ones so everyone would be on the same footing. Stephen?

Comment

Do you think it has something to do with improvements in browsers?

Comment

it seems there was a big influx of very fast solvers several months ago--i remember commenting on it in the chat room. it was around the same time as the programmer guy got kicked off, which made me a bit suspicious at the time (but i'm sometimes a suspicious sort, once someone has raised questions). it was also just after a time where lots of "guests" were appearing in chat, asking for help solving puzzles--at the time, i was told that that was common at the start of some school classes, for students to look for help here doing their homework--so that probably has nothing to do with anything.

anyway, it just seemed very unusual that there were so many REALLY GOOD players that started around the same time, and i wondered if a whole class (of cheaters, using that same program) had signed up together. i know--crazy thought, huh?
        no one else has ever mentioned anything, though, and i still consider myself a relative 'newbie' here, so i try to keep suspicions to myself.

i guess i'll go with coincidence. for now. 'til i hear otherwise. ha!

Comment

I get suspicious, too, but I think a few people just decided to get good before joining, like I did. Those of us who have been around for some of the previous cheaters can generally spot them. Being able to beat a Bansai record by one or two seconds doesn't make me suspicious. A 7-second solve when the previous record was twice that, then a bunch more in a similar time range, that would raise a red flag.

Comment

how does someone cheat?

Comment

I believe it would require that you have a built-in "solving" program on your computer....but it seems to me (barely computer-literate) that using it would require more time??

There is also at least one "speaking" platform out there, where you don't have to TYPE!! There are probably more that I just have no awareness of.

I DO think that speeds have increased w/ the advance of technology and super-fast servers....that will probably continue w/ future advances.

All the more reason to stay focused on WHY we come here to play! It "scratches an itch" or keeps our minds active, or gives us a sense of community, or provides us with a daily challenge. I'm sure there are as many reasons for playing as there are players.

No matter how high up the ranks you go there will always be someone who will eventually replace you!! It's kind of an analogy of life, I think.

Comment

I'm having a hard time trying to understand why anyone would even want to cheat. There is no prize money, bragging rights are pretty much worthless with the anonymity of the internet,and the only pleasure to be found is the self gratification of actually solving a puzzle yourself. I guess you would have to lump it in with those who derive satisfaction from creating viruses, malware, and other destructive elements of the internet. oh well, I still enjoy watching myself improve at cryptograms, and appreciate the work that must go into making sites like this possible.

Comment

I became suspicious too, a few months ago. I've decided that people that know a lot more about it than I do, aren't alarmed, so everything must be okay. We know that there are people here who are incredibly good, just because someone is new doesn't mean they can't be really good too.

As for cheating, who knows why people do the things they do? I thought that before the last cheater disappeared he said something about trying to improve his software. That post disappeared along with him, so I can't check to see if I was right.

Comment

One does get faster with practise, I know this from my own experience At first (I found cryptograms in November) my average time was around 200 seconds, in December maybe two minutes, in January a minute and a half and now I'm already under a minute. Nowhere near the fastes ones on this site, obviously, but I'm improving! I even got my first 6 second solve today (too bad the record was 5 seconds by Nanrich!).

Comment

times they are a changing

I agree, MBackhoe, it's just fun to try to challenge yourself and get a few more pegs up everytime. I love having this kind of a site! But, then I've never been a competitive person, so maybe it's hard to understand the need! Now chocolate? That's different!

Comment

solving cryptograms while eating chocolate, forget about the solve time. I have only seen the airplane a few times, and it must have been a new puzzle because I know others solved it quicker now. Abra, I know what you mean when yo solve a puzzle super fast. even when you see that someone else beat your time, it is still a good feeling. Too bad there is not a way to have our fastest time included in our records):

Comment

Annamariah, Congratulations on a six second solve. You've become really quick, really fast .
                          A six second solve even if it isn't a record is REALLY something. You've obviously got the gift.

Comment

OMG!! Annamariah....a 6 second solve?? I'm so truly impressed....my fastest solve was maybe 12 and that was probably due to playing for so many years and recognizing the author and the cadence of the quote. Kudos to you.

Comment

I wish I found this site sooner. I have improved rapidly in the six months I have been playing, but have seen the airplane 4-5 times. I doubt I will ever reach the tip top, but I am definitely competitive! After hanging around the 90% mark in an effort to focus on solve time (and getting distracted when I play) my goal this month is to stay at 100% as long as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X