X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ratings for solving a puzzle

Hi
    This is my first posting.
    I like the cryptograms here very much. I usually can solve one in about 5 to 7 minutes, which according to the graph ranks me as Very Slow. Heck I know I'm not the Speed Demon of Cryptography, but it seems to get a fast rating I'd have to solve the puzzle in about a minute!
    Is everyone here extremely gifted in cryptogram decoding? Or is this some kind of prank you use for the new "kids" to your site?
    Seriously this seems like a fun site whose members could have broken the Japanese Purple Code in about 10 minutes.
    Well, I'll go solve another puzzle. Is there a calendar available so I can see how much time it takes me?

Cryptogram solving is a skill you learn by practising. When I first started about a year ago, it took me several minutes to solve a cryptogram, and some I didn't manage to solve at all. Now, with practice, I've worked my way up to the fastest solvers on this site. So don't worry, you'll get faster soon if you just keep on solving!

Comment

It also helps if you are a fast typist. I've been practicing my typing skills for many years now and I'm up to using three fingers and a thumb.
      "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Try not to compare your results with the results of others. Just have fun. Time will come down with practice.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and your words of encouragement.
          I've actually solved a few cryptograms in which my time was average!
          Perhaps my scores will get much better when my tpying imporves.

Comment

Wolf, I moved "solving tips" to page 1 for you. Have a look.

Comment

Every so often, in the comments, a post states an especially long solve time (6,000 plus seconds on the Lincoln's statement about folks being happy). Why is that solve time not reflected in the bell curve? What is the cut off number for the curve?

Comment

Because the “bell curve” is not truly a bell curve. The first number at the bottom is the record time and the third number is the average time. The second number is midway between the first and third numbers. The fourth number is three times the average and the fifth number is five times the average. A really long time will show up on the curve only for that player. Then it is absorbed into the average and no one else ever sees it.
                "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Montyb, that is the clearest explanation I've seen of what that curve actually shows. Now I finally understand what happens to the super-slow times. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X